This object is in archive! 

CPU loads cause 100 degree temps

Nemesis shared this bug 21 months ago
Solved

I originally posted this on the steam community and the issue is as follows:

for ease of reference this is a Multiplayer issue and on testing it affects every Modded server ive played.

so im having a massive issue with CPU temps whilst playing recording temps of 100 degrees.

Yes this is CPU not GPU as checking GPU temps they never get above 70 degrees and usually sit at 55.

this isnt a rare thing either but when ever im on planet i get load spikes every 10 seconds or so which then jump up the cpu temps to 90+ degrees with 100 being the point of f*k this shi* im out.

just sat in a chair in base, zero refineries going and just one assembler can cause the same issue but in space everything is a balmy 50-60 degrees. and no its not a super huge base, just big enough for 4 large cargo, 8 refineries and 6 batts

all this running on a 2 year old, exceeding clean i7-10700KF, 64 GB ram, 2080TI and the game loaded on a 1TB SSD. Ambient temps never above 25 degrees

My first thought was a failing water cooler but under stress tests of 100% the CPU temp Never hit anything over 78 degrees but this game rarely hits the cores at 60% but because the game loads in info in such a way (from 4% to 50% in seconds) the CPU temps are all over the place maxing out at 100 and the cooler cycling like a over revving trial bike to silent within a few seconds to repeat the cycle over and over as it cant ramp up as fast as the temps so other than maxing out the fan speed permanently i cant see another option.

in relation to graphics settings ive tried with both high and low gfx same result, lowered resolution with both high and low settings same result (apart from my GPU running no higher than 50 degrees at the low settings) even had the game running in windowed mode

all other games ive tried hit mid to high 70 degrees on the CPU and im pretty positive its not graphics related as the spikes in temp happen when the load on the cpu changes suddenly, i even tried software that changes the cooler behaviour when changes in temp occur but even that couldnt help given the speed at which the loads increase then decrease.

i even went so far as to relocate my base to a moon, low gravity and no NPC's, minimised damage to the ground and had only foundation interacting with the surface. turned off the steam overlay bootstrapper, closed any other program that wasnt essential in task manager then watched as the cpu load jumps to 40-60% and the temps jump from 60 - mid to high 90's in 2 seconds hitting 100 on 5 of 8 cores at one point whist just sitting in a chair in the base in first person not changing perspective.

on checking the web its been suggested its how the game deals with physics of the blocks which kinda makes sense as i dont have this issue when flying through space or during space combat.

with Furmark loads at 100% temps on cpu at 78, GPU temps 75 using prime

both these programs have a mostly steady load on the relevant parts so the cooling is constant and temps are within expected values. its the switching from 30% to 60+% which pulls more power to the cpu generating the extra heat so the cooler cycles between low and high fan speeds as it takes 1 second for the load to increase but 3 seconds for the cooler to spool up which spikes the temps to 90+ and 100 if i stay for too long.

Ive tested different ships keeping the PCU down to a minimum but as soon as i make planet fall anywhere this issue starts and continues on a repeating cycle every 10 seconds or so furthermore on asking the some on the Stargate Dimensions community they are having the same issue.

Replies (3)

photo

Hello Nemesis!

Is this ONLY affecting modded servers? Do you see this at all in servers without mods?

If so, we would say that mods are causing the issue. Unfortunately, we do not provide mod support.

I would suggest doing the following but ultimately, if it is only in modded worlds, we would not provide support for you. Please let me know.

• Verify your game files in Steam

• Right click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Local Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

/yZqqrYVZMA2-SDhVMhG57uBqCy90f3HXrVR-qbsBIOGQA2z1oJb9V0l6Yx6ybs7M9JXjJyyN1MdmwhlSS5FnaU7eXwxDfknN0WF0dqrBbdCcB6PPxrJADBOpMUiZv5eB4wbATnWo9_vm9OFEr0pa6A

• Delete SpaceEngineers.cfg file

• It means your game configuration will be deleted
  • You can access your SpaceEngineers.cfg by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

• Delete ShaderCache folder

• Back up your whole Space Engineers Roaming folder and delete it
  • Restart Steam
  • Reinstall VC Redist 2017
  • Update graphic drivers
  • Reinstall the game
  • Make sure your operating system is fully updated

Kind Regards,

Laura, QA Department

photo

Keen provided a fix for this in general which involved reinstalling the game and deleting the cfg file and shader cache file etc However i found that by turing off shadows, setting shaders to low and disabling ambiant occlusion fixed the issue.

seems that when on planet (with the above options turned on) generates massive loads on the cpu as shadows etc are calculated on each block and as the light source (sun) changes, it recalculates every 10 seconds or so causing the spikes. I originally thought this would be a GPU process but seems it isnt. Now the game runs smoothly and puts load on just 2 cores with the temps briefly in the 80's when on planet, but as its an i7 they tend to run a little hot at times and is acceptable.

Thanks for the help as i can play without worrying about frying my cpu

photo

Hello Nemesis!

Thank you for letting us know and happy playing :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

Replies have been locked on this page!