This object is in archive! 

Light Around Camera

jacky shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

hello everyone

playing Space Engineers and noticing a weird lighting effect around the camera. as if the camera has a light shining in all directions.

Is this a know issue? anyone else noticing this?

what's the deal?

hopefully you can see the issue through the screenshots. where the crosshair is, at first the crevasse is pitch black. i get this patchness form a mod (ive disabled and removed it to the same effect, unfortunately, just not as pronounced)

e49359f231bf485ca302d03e69c572cc

as i get closer to the mountain, it gets brighter, while the crevasse to the left and up continues pitch black.

6f0963fa8a87be641019d7f5485546b7until i move to that other crevasse and it becomes lit up.

ff2b63be0a2c12e011d932e4061c113d

you can even see as if a round sphere of light exists around the camera.

anyone know if this is fixable? what it is? if i can't remove this effect?

here's another example. total darkness near in the shadow cast by the sun being occluded.

6318c17da1b55a5ffafcf30e863bfdaa

get closer, and the mountain gets lit up.

52b865f4b966373bbfdd622d1d088c78

IRL effect maybe, but way too much of an effect.

here's a killer screenshot of this

9b71071225b955cdb5a306f4ce5f5fab

there's absolutely no artificial light coming in from the side.

Replies (3)

photo

That's not "a light from the camera", that's "eye adaptation" or "High Dynamic Range" or "Autoexposure" (or whatever fancy words one might call it) of some sort.

The darker the overall scene's is as measured in raw brightness, the more the image is brightened "artificially" to be able to see something after all. Notice how the bright spots in the pictures with the black shadows are even brighter (or completely swamped in white) in the pictures where you can "see in the dark". Of course, this only works, and looks like to be implemented as such, while there is still some illumination going on. (Or assumed to be present. This is a videogame after all, not a realistic lighting sim, so, some optimization trickery to save processing cycles is par for the course.) Once there really is no light or illumination present anymore, there's nothing to brighten.

You can double-check this yourself by building yourself into a completely shut box. If there was "light from the camera", you'd still something again. Instead, you'll see about as much as from a troupe of burqa'd-up chimney sweepers performing mime in a collapsed train tunnel.

(Of course, in addition to that there's also Keen's stupid artificial eye adaptation implementation that interferes with the final scene brightness by artificially and unnaturally darkening the image when in nature it would brighten to your eye, but for once this is not what applies here.)

It's the same effect that moon landing deniers keep conveniently forgetting about when they protest "why you don't see stars in the site photographs taken on the Moon".

photo

whatever it is, and i ain't knocking off your explanation of why it occurs, it looks off.

is there anyway i can change this effect? it's values, or some settings, to get rid of the effect? preferably without modding :D

this isnt a light sim, yes, but the effect looks terrible

photo

This is a long-standing peeve for a lot of people. Here's one older feedback post about it https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/disable-eye-adaptation-dynamic-ambient-light

Unfortunately, it does require modding to fix it. The post linked above includes a link to a mod the OP made to remove the sphere of ambient light around the player (among other tweaks). https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1591493334

The mod's description tells you what he changed in order to produce the mod, so you can change just the values you want to mod the game yourself in order to get your own desired results.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file