This object is in archive! 

Overlapping Blocks

Rayshaun Thompson shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Currently, only one block/item can occupy any grid unit. Blocks cannot overlap regardless of how little space within the unit they occupy. I propose that any number of blocks can be placed in a grid unit with a proper connecting surface so long as they do not clip into any blocks presently in that grid unit.

It already occurs in-game that we must aim at the model of a block, not simply the grid unit in some cases, to place a block onto it. This cast can still occur, but allow for the placement in the aimed unit. Such a feature could possibly quell the requests for novel block shapes as well.

For example, placing a interior light next to a corner, slant or corner blocks around a large grid camera, etc.

Perhaps, a persisting restriction could be to only allow this cohabitation for large grid blocks that take a single unit, so no placing corner lights in the empty space under a 2x1 slanted window (though that does sound amazing).

Replies (1)

photo

I suppose at this point, it's simply a waiting game.

photo

For bring light at you.

SE is like Minecraft just with fancy 3D models as blocks and polygonal voxel for planets.

You cannot place 3 blocks at same place you can only cheat by super-grid bug Keen not remove from game.

The bug is that you can place large blocks on small grid but ship will be not stable as collision models will connect at some angles.

If you want furniture in your ship you can do the large to small rotor trick so you will have "Ship inside ship".

Google= Space engineers small block interior in large ship

photo

Note: Connecting small and large grids through rotors and hinges is NOT supergridding. And neither is supergridding a bug as such, more an unexpected degree of freedom in the implementation of grid sizes.

photo

Read my reply again as you clearly not understand.

Supergidding is done with text editor to trick the game to use large models on single block space.

Rotor trick can be done in-game and you can fill up whole 1x1x1 large block space with small blocks.

As head of rotor is different grid named "sub-grid" then it is like "new paper" you can built on with only limit of actual room you crated. Problem with ship inside ship (rotor trick) is that game is very bad at sync rotor heads (subgrid) positions with the main grid (ship) and that can make your ship unstable know as Klang

Lastly

SE not support multiple blocks at same block space as game will crash or not save blueprint.

If you want some kind of design freedom you can ask SE mod people to create you block variations.

photo

I know. I just wanted to make sure that it is understood that supergridding is NOT about connecting different-sized grids through rotors and the like because I heard people say as much before.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file