ShareInertiaTensor on MotorSuspension resets itself when the game saves

DontFollowOrders shared this bug 2 years ago
Reported

First of all, please give this UI option back to suspension blocks. It has its uses (including making your cylindrical wheel collision mesh work very well)

Secondly, I can go into my SANDBOX_0_0_0_.sbc and change it manually, but it falsifies itself the next time I save the game

I made a save where inertia tensor is enabled, you can verify before you load it, then load it and save and see that they are now false

Steam Workshop::Gyrotor Demonstration World (steamcommunity.com)

Replies (3)

photo

Hello, Nathan!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. I have been looking at your save and you have a huge amount of mods in it. We do not support mods but I have been unable to remove the mods and test the world without errors. Mods can cause a wide array of issues which is why we do not provide support for them. Can you please supply a world in which you experience this issue but there have never been any mods involved? I am unsure if what you're having an issue with is a mod itself or if you mean the suspension itself. Can you please clarify?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Thanks for the timely response!

Well yes I will admit that save is full of game-redeeming mods and of course the world isn't going to work if you remove the mods; it contains everything to teach whoever is interested to learn how the game's physics engine should be dealt with

If only I had access to WHEEL_SOFTNESS and material properties (:

But anyway here is a totally vanilla save with every wheel suspension, that should all have <ShareInertiaTensor>true initially

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2803439684

Here is the same world where they all have <ShareInertiaTensor>false

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2803439836

If you save the first one, it will turn into the second. Anyone (not pointing fingers) can compare the car on the planet to see that it does make a difference in handling if necessary, it isn't a disabled feature and need not be!

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Thank you for the worlds. I am struggling to see the difference between these. Could you please clarify which groups should show a difference? I'm looking at anything with 'suspension' and they are the same across both saves. I'm sure I am missing something very obvious :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

No need to worry about groupings or anything, every single wheel suspension in each world (including the full set of standard/offroad/LG/SG suspensions in space) has the same <ShareInertiaTensor> that as a UI option, is completely invisible in game since update 198 Warfare 1. So actually not really obvious at all, but if you remember all the complaints from other users using it in incorrect circumstances that "it's a self-destruct button for wheels," it can make a huge difference in performance. So now the only way to see it is to view the SANDBOX_0_0_0_.sbc in your world save's folder and find the boolean value under each Suspension FL, FR, RL, or RR

As far as visually experiencing the difference, drive each rover on level ground, only holding W and A or S so that you are driving perpetually in a circle. With inertia tensor off, the rover spins its wheels beyond the limit of traction, causing speed to increase slightly (I got up to 15m/s before I called the difference significant and reliable enough) and the circle's radius to expand. With inertia tensor on, the rover will maintain the size of the circle at 12m/s

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Ah, yes! I'm completely with you now. I am now looking between the two but still not seeing the differences in the files. It may be easier to provide me with your two versions of the Sandbox files where the issue is for you. I can then compare the two with ones that definitely have the issue. This would be rather than my two files which may not be showing up for whatever reason :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

I think I mixed up the values in the saves so that the false world had all true and the true world had all false lol

No matter!

Here is the SANDBOX_0_0_0_.sbs file that contains all <ShareInertiaTensor> values as true, which you can easily sift through with ctrl+f search and input "<ShareInertiaTensor>," for some reason support.keenswh.com thinks that .sbs file type is incorrect so I've had to change the extension in order for it to upload, you'll need to change that back to .sbs to get it to load in the game obviously (to clarify, this is NOT the .sbsB5 file)

After loading the game but before saving you can verify that the values remain the same, as well as the last modified date. As long as you don't save the game yet you can load this world any number of times and <ShareInertiaTensor> will remain true

After saving the game you can verify the last modified date reflects exactly when you saved the game, and that the <ShareInertiaTensor> values have changed to false without any input from you

Note that in order for the game a save to read from the SANDBOX_0_0_0_.sbs file, the SANDBOX_0_0_0_.sbsB5 will need to be deleted if it exists, and the game will recreate it using the plain text .sbs file we just made

EDIT: I realized that having the cars in the world with all the different hinges and rotors and stuff with their own <ShareInertiaTensor> value made things a lot more complicated to search through the .sbs, so I removed the cars and just left the wheel suspensions in space

photo

Here is the version where they are all false, not really necessary to download it since this exact file is what you will exactly end up with after saving the game with the other one, but you asked for both so I will provide (:

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Thank you for the further information. Could you confirm if the values of the save files are round the round way/labeled incorrectly? I have to reproduce the issue to report it internally and I'm still having trouble reproducing it myself. Any further clarification would be great and I apologise for asking for so much information!

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

I am not sure exactly what you are asking from me there so here is a raw recording of me reproducing the bug hope it helps!

https://streamable.com/b93pxq

photo
photo

Hello, Engineer!

Thank you very much for the video and all the previous information! It's been a huge help :) I have successfully reproduced the issue and reported it internally. Thank you again.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file