This object is in archive! 

Multiplayer Target Lock Custom Turret Bug

Noah shared this bug 2 years ago
Won't Fix

The custom turret controller seems to behave differently in multiplayer. Here's the story:

Build info: The build I was making uses principles covered in the below video to steer. It additionally uses a main grid to form a lock, from which the missile detaches and moves towards it's target. It works perfectly in single player, but in a multiplayer setting the lock fails. The lock, if it forms at all spasms and disappears completely while leaving the main grid.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VCr6DDjPRM

Bug Symptoms:

I found the target lock does not work when moving into multiplayer settings, specifically with custom turrets. Custom turrets in single player, when using the new target lock system, uses available weapons maximum effective range instead of the default 600 m (for small grids). But in multiplayer, instead of selecting a target system from the targeted enemy grid, the custom turret spams between different enemy systems. It seems to select a system, but then deselect and attempt for another system on the targeted grid. This is not consistent, as after a while the grid will start to refuse to copy target to custom turrets claiming "target out of range". This leads me to believe that a bug in multiplayer stops custom turrets from gaining a new max range while using the new target lock system. Maybe client side the lock is made, but the server side doesn't recognize the new max range on the custom turret and turns off the lock?

TLDR: In multiplayer a bug causes custom turret controllers to not properly use target locks. Likely due to issue with max range.

Best Answer
photo

Did further testing and found that my issue comes from using timer blocks to "copy target" to custom turret controllers. After remembering that the blocks lose some settings after a copy/paste, I was able to get it to work when setting the targets manually. The interaction between the timer block and and turret control block seems to be broken in multiplayer.

Replies (3)

photo

Decided to leave a comment, as I thought it may be handy to clarify conditions under which I found the bug. The build was in space, featuring a large grid with a cockpit. A large grid rotor with a small rotor head held a small merge block to which the small grid missile attached to. The lock is performed in the cockpit, while the small grid custom turrets blocks are located on the missile. The missile uses an assault cannon instead of a camera, because the extra range it tricks the turret controllers into giving is important. The cannon is powered, but empty and not attached via conveyer. The lock is formed and the target is copied several seconds before disconnecting the missile. I doubt it, but since I haven't used the target lock system much yet I thought perhaps this may be important.

Further more, there are other bugs with this custom turret control block as well. Grouping them causes settings to be switched between them and copy/pasting them in a multiplayer server can result in weapons/rotors/hinges being forgotten in the controllers settings. Overall this block needs a close look, especially in multiplayer.

photo

Did further testing and found that my issue comes from using timer blocks to "copy target" to custom turret controllers. After remembering that the blocks lose some settings after a copy/paste, I was able to get it to work when setting the targets manually. The interaction between the timer block and and turret control block seems to be broken in multiplayer.

photo

Hello, Noah,

thanks for letting us know.

However, I seems not to be able to reproduce this issue.

Can you please provide more information? Especially blueprints of the affected ships/grids might be helpful, as well as a video showing the issue. That way I would know what you are doing exactly when this issue appear and what you are reffering to. Reliable stept to reproduce might help as well.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

Replies have been locked on this page!