Conveyor Sorters works strange with Gases from Tanks

Dominik Janiec shared this bug 2 years ago
Reported

I've made a couple of test systems - mostly Large Grids stationary ships in the space with rather simple Conveyors network, and I've found out one family of strange behaviours related to Gases.

I've shared on the Steam Workshop two hopefully helpfully builds:

* https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2754844807 - a test environment (based on an empty world), where I've found these weird behaviours with Gases and Sorters

* https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2767737754 - a test bed grid to easily check these odd behaviours with Conveyors network described here below

Nonetheless, in your some recent YouTube stream, you give a hint, that your next big upgrade will be kind of focused on "Quality of Life" changes and fixes. I don't know if whatever I've described here could be an easy fix or requiring a whole Conveyor Network redesign and a new implementation. However, if Sorters (or even Connectors) could have a toggle to just exclude/include them from passing H2 and/or O2 Gases, I believe I could easily ignore these strange behaviours - as my goal was to design some kind of separated "life-support" system, without using Ejectors and Collectors to pass Ice and Bottles ;)

----

In most cases I've tried, fortunately, the Conveyor Sorter behaves expectedly in regard to transferring O2 and/or H2 Gases - where I'm expecting that they will pass Gases through according to their direction.

0)

One unexpected acting is that when a Conveyor Sorter is in Toggled Off block state, it still is passing Gases into sinks and Consumers from sources - it is very possible, that it is rather conventional idea, but it was at least a kind of small surprise for me. Thus, I'm not sure about that case.

The biggest unforeseen (for me) bizarre ways of doing things with Conveyor Sorters and Gases are cases when the source is a Tank(s):

1)

With intuitively "Passing"-through Sorter, one can put another Tank of same type after it, then suck up a desired Gas in that sink with enabled Stockpile. However, once on the same Conveyor network side (after the Sorter) is also connected some gas "self-consuming" block, nothing which use that type of consumed gas will work there - by "self-consuming" I mean: Cryo Chamber, Cockpits, Hydrogen Engine, and H. Thrusters.

Thus, with connected Engines or Thrusters, one cannot Stockpile H2, or use beforehand mentioned Thrusters and Engines. Similarly, with connected Life Support blocks, nothing gas related works, as they provide both Gases to the character when one is inside, and (I believe) cache some of them when one is outside.

Moreover, even without Stockpiling Tanks at all, any gas Consumer will not work in that setup once "self-consumer" is connected, so also Medical Room or Air Vent. On the other side, a Medical Room does not prevent Stockpiling, but does not provide gases to the user - thus maybe, it still prevents Stockpiling while it is being used, by I cannot test that easily. Furthermore, somehow an Air Vent works as output as expected, as long as there isn't any other kind of gas Consumer on that Conveyor network side.

2)

Counterintuitively, when one is using "Blocking" Conveyor Sorter with Tanks as Gas Sources, most Consumers works - which feels unexpected as Sorter looks as it should not pass anything throughout at that side. Moreover, Air Vents and Stockpiling does not work, unless there is a matching Consumer connected also.

Replies (6)

photo

There is conflicting information. Some says sorters should by design not affect gas flow at all, some says sorters block all gasses (including the "official" wiki, but you know, anyone can edit a wiki), some says hydrogen sometimes passes sorters either due to a circumstantial bug or a specifically coded exception (or specifically omitted denial, or whatever).

If you really are interested in reporting your findings, I suggest you cover each oddity in a separate report instead of a single wall of text trying to cover everything, each with a description of what you expect, what you got, how to reproduce what you got, and ideally documentation such as screenshots, blueprints, and new and vanilla test world saves.

photo

Thank you for feedback. I've provided more simplified description with illustrative screenshots. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to edit my original post, but I hope it is not a big deal - and on the other side, it contains more detailed descriptions with other strange similar cases or exceptions, i.e. behaviour of Air Vent and Stockpiling Tanks.

In regard to mixed opinions about passing Gasses throughout Sorters, as I've stated in OP, I believe that Toggle to Enable/Disable that behaviour per Sorter block would be the best solution.

photo

Posts can only be edited within an hour of original submission.

photo
photo

Simplified description of bug I found:

Create a grid with Conveyors Network composed of: Gas Sources, Conveyor Sorter, and some Gas Consumers.

a) Put a O2/H2 Generator full of Ice on one side, then Cryo Chamber and Hydrogen Thruster on the other end of Conveyor Network - everything works as expected:

• With the Conveyor Sorter pointing from sources to sinks, Gases are passed.2853e2a3990bcd376136c87378a3d71b
  • With the Sorter put in the opposite way, Gases are intuitively blocked.bb5c20cdaf155fb9e73fe8195954e224

b) Have full of Gases an Oxygen and Hydrogen Tanks, then on the other side place consumers as Cyro and Thruster - I believe this is the bug described here:

• Gases are unexpectedly blocked, when Conveyor Sorter is pointing from sources to consumers.ecc6b47ba3458c6a7b0699eb743d768f
  • Gases are even more strangely passed, when Sorter is placed with its arrow pointing against intuitive gas flow, thus Thruster is burning, and Cyro Chamber has Green status light.7b7b2da167f9c2e5a120f69ec526e1fc

c) Regardless of Conveyor Sorter configuration, when Gases are passed, they are being keep passed even when the Sorter is Toggled Off.

Here is published Steam Workshop saved world examples depicted above:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2769939715

photo

Confirmed.

When the sorter points to sources

Hydrogen flows against the sorter from tanks against sorter direction, but ONLY when the gas generators are NOT connected to the conveyor network, and regardless whether they're toggled on or off.

3b57625ee7f88ae6b743d10f1c0186cc

cd5f4799ba5b372d7e23ac0c3dc2d5ce

When the sorter points to consumers

The opposite happens: Hydrogen flows from tanks to thruster, but ONLY when the gas generators are connected and even when those are off:

5d21ba685c344141fe1e499190747ee2

b20a394f7d2e43931e09a708072a0944

And just for completeness:

When the tanks are disconnected, supply from generators follows their behaviour. Hydrogen flows with the sorter but not against it.

Also, oxygen is completely unaffected by those oddities. It ALWAYS flows to the consumer (cryo pod here), regardless of connection to either source (but at least one, of course) and sorter direction.

photo

Correction: Oxygen appears to be affected in the same way as hydrogen after all. Even though the pod's indicator light may show green, eventually the toolbar indicator says Low and None, and neither O2 nor H2 bars are refilled while occupying the pod. So, going merely by the indicator light to investigate this issue is not sufficient, you must spend time jetting around to deplete your personal gas reserves to see whether the respective gasses are actually replenished.

photo

Same issue, with O2. I had a buffer tank for oxygen to keep the air from within my double doors in case it can't be dumped back at the base itself, but unfortunatelly this tank is being filled by the base, against the sorter... My "emergency storage" is useless and a drag.... also drain all wont fix it...

Guess the only way to make a proper working sorter for gasses is with 2 vents in an enclosed room, one providing and the other depressurizing.... this kinda sucks since it require some space....

photo
photo

I'm also very confused by this inconsistent behaviour. How can we get to the bottom of this? Is there a test setup we can create for Keep Support to reproduce it?

Is it official that sorters are treated as conveyors for gases (no matter if they are on or off)?

my test set up: battery - tank - cargo - sorter (I tried either way) - cargo - tank (the cargo is for me to have a handy port to attach generators and stuff to, and to access the terminal).

1. I can alternate stockpile on and off on either side, and gas flows this way and that way. Good.
  2. If there is a medical room on the empty tank's side, they don't recharge the suit hydrogen. Not good.
  3. If there is one o2/h2 generator running on one side, it fills both tanks. Good.
  4. If there is one o2/h2 generator running on the other side, it fills one tank only. Huh?
  5. After I remove the generator, toggling stockpile on/off has no effect anymore... Not good. Turning the sorter upside down makes no differences either...
  6. Replacing the sorter with a conveyor tube enables me to use Stockpile again to make gas flow in either direction. Good. If I then replace the conveyor by a sorter again, hydrogen stockpile again flows in both directions through the sorter. Good.
  7. I place an o2/h2 generator on one side, stockpile still works, and both tanks are filled. Good. I put it on the other side, stockpile stops working again and only one side gets filled. Sigh.
  8. I remove the generator - this time, stockpile works as expected on both sides.

And so on. I've been going back and forth like this for a while and it's really annoying to get it working consistently.

Is this an extreme glitch or can anybody reproduce this?8ceb4381d45053402aa7dc1667b77c8c

photo

Hello, Engineers!

Thanks for letting us know about this issue!

Thanks for all your information, steps and images, this issue was indeed successfully reproduced and added into our internal system.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Retested this in 1.201.013 with fresh test grid.

Still happening.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file