This object is in archive! 

Client ships aim direction gets overridden by the server

TwistedGraphene shared this bug 2 years ago
Won't Fix

In multiplayer, both in dedicated servers and in hosted sessions, when a ship controlled by a client rotates, at the end of the movement the aim point gets pulled back a bit, but not every time, and not immediately. This is especially troublesome when using a camera to aim at a distant target, or when trying to line up for docking because the rotation can feel 'sticky'.

What I think is going on is that when a client rotates a ship, the client and the server end up disagreeing about what the new direction is, and the server force-updates the client's direction. This does not happen instantly though, and fixed-mount weapons appear to use the server's direction for that ship, meaning that shots do not go where the client would expect based on where they are looking. Gatling guns and autocannons show the tracers going where the player would expect them to, but the actual impact points are not correct for where the client is looking, as determined by what blocks get damaged and destroyed. The issue is much more visible with the penetrating weapons, since their projectiles can be seen firing in the direction that the server thinks the ship is pointed, with corresponding impact points and damage.

This deviation from where the client is looking is different from the effects of drop, weapon base deviation, projectiles inheriting the firing ship's velocity, or the target's movement.

The only workaround is to wait for the server to override the client's aim direction, then use lateral movement for aiming.

Replies (4)

photo

Hello, Twistedgraphene!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. I appreciate this was from two months ago and wonder if this is still an issue that persists as we have had recent updates? Is this something that happens on official servers, your own or, both? Would it please be possible to supply a file with reliable reproduction steps for this? I have been trying to reproduce the issue on my own dedicated server but have not been able to. Ideally, it would be great to see a video too as it's quite hard to understand exactly what you're experiencing without actually seeing it for myself although the description is fairly informative. Are any mods involved at all? If so, please test this without them as they can cause a wide variety of issues and we do not provide support for this.

Also, does it make any difference if the server is quite complex or on a new world?

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Back when I first made this report, I tested on 1) a locally hosted multiplayer game, 2) a privately run dedicated server. I have not tried the official servers. This issue occured in both modded and unmodded games, with the unmodded case tested using the Easy Start Earth scenario. Since then I have confirmed that it is still present in at least hosted worlds, using an empty Star System start. It is likely still present in dedicated servers as well.

Reproduction steps:

- Connect to a server as a client. This can be a dedicated server or a hosted game.

- Set up a large target plate of small grid light armor with an obvious center mark (to make the impact point obvious)

- Fire a railgun mounted on a ship, not a turret, from a position 1000m away looking directly at the center mark on the target plate, using a camera at max zoom to ensure accurate aiming. In Earth gravity, the round should land about 5 meters below the center mark.

When playing as a client on any type of server, the round will often miss the expected impact point. One other way I would describe the feeling is that it seems like orientation rubber-banding. It usually is not an issue, except when trying to do long range fighting with fixed-mount weapons or doing anything with camera raycasting.

One other thing of note: all of this was tested with experimental mode enabled.

Notes on the video:

This was done on a completely fresh star system start where I was a client and a friend was hosting. The [Shift]+[F11] menu is up, so you can see that the server was under very light load and the ping was very low.

The target is a 11x11 square of small grid blocks.

While I was lining up the first shot, the server was very frequently overriding my orientation. The first shot was wildly off target, and pointed at the last place the server had snapped my aim to.

The second shot was not accounting for drop, but I had locked my gyros right after the server had snapped my orientation. The third shot was compensating for gravity correctly, and the round whent where it was expected to.

After the third shot I moved around and rotated to simulate acquiring a target for the first time. After locking the target, I aimed back at the same point as the third shot and fired. This shot also was wildly off target.

I was using a railgun, which has 0 dispersion. It should shoot perfectly accurately every time, only requiring compensation for gravity and relative motion of the shooter and target.

photo

Hello, Engineer!

it´s already quite long time from when this issue was originally posted as well as from the last comment.

Are you still experiencing it? Or was it fixed in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for confirming me current situation.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

Replies have been locked on this page!