This object is in archive! 

NA#2 Server restart as ship jumped, spawned ship close to center of planet earth

Engi shared this bug 2 years ago
Solved

I cannot confirm that this was caused by the server restart. It also happened about 5 min before the hack on NA#2 started so that could be related, not sure.

I initiated a jump about 10 seconds before the restart and the jump warp animation started and the the server restarted right then. After the restart, I was still in my control seat but could not use 3rd person view, so I looked out of a camera and noticed the sky box was from inside the planet earth. I've been there before. I looked at my gps for earth and I was about 4km from the 0,0,0.

I turned off my dampers and let the ship float to a stop at the center. I got out of my seat and died instantly. I spawned on the surface of the earth. I then had to backspace multiple times to spawn back at my spawn point on the ship. Then the ownership of the ship was scrambled by the hack.

I've never had a ship spawn inside of a planet while jumping before and I'm not going to try and repeat it. I am assuming it was the restart that caused it. Could also have something to do with the hack as I noticed that soon after this happened.

Replies (8)

photo

I just saw a report for this same problem on the Keen Help for official servers but they jumped right as the server crashed and they ended up at the center of earth as well. So it seems like jumping during a server restart or server crash results in the ship jumping to the center of earth. This can be used as an exploit if you can time it right on restarts. Jump a ship with welders on it at the moment of a restart. Report it to the admins, they then copy and paste your grid back out in space for you. If they don't go through the extra steps to put the block pcu in your name and they usually don't. The ship is free pcu and the welders will now weld up ships that have no pcu ownership and you have unlimited pcu.

photo

Hello, Engi!

I have been trying to reproduce this on a dedicated server (as I can't simply restart the Keen server to test) I haven't been able to reproduce it and I'm hoping I can find the ability to do so on a dedicated server. I have tried being fairly close to Earth but if I get too close, I can't jump due to the gravity. I assume you were aiming at Earth? or possibly not but please let me know. I've tried jumping and restarting the server with ample time like you, I've also tried it right at the time of the jump, and each time when I join the server after a restart, I'm exactly where I should be rather than inside Earth. Any extra help would be great.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

I was not aiming at earth. And it has nothing to do with distance. I jumped, right as the server restarted and the other person on discord jumped right as the server crashed. I think that the game does not no where to spawn the ship when this happens. I was jumping a short distance thousands of km from earth and was not pointed at it all. I believe it was a blind jump. I've been thinking of trying to reproduce it by starting a timer at the 1 min warning on NA#2 and seeing if I can hit jump 10 seconds before the restart and see if it jumps right as it decons or maybe right before but I can only attempt every 6 hours. I was in the "warp animation" right as it said deconed. When the field of view warps. I have not tried it yet as then I would have to ask for my ship to be cut and pasted back into space again.

the only similar thing I can think that might relate is that sometimes, though not lately, you guys may have fixed it. You will spawn in your suit in spectator mode but with no control other than looking around at the center of the planet. I never figured out what caused this but it reminds me of that. I have had that happen multiple times and so have faction mates when dying or when logging in for the first time. The only difference is that I was not in spectator mode with my ship when it spawned there, I could fly it around like normal, but there is not 3rd person when under the surface from the ship.

photo

Hello, Engi!

I appreciate this thread is a couple of months old. We have since had recent updates and wonder if you still experience the same behavior or, has this since been resolved?

If it is resolved, I will close this thread for you :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

I have seen other people say this has happened to them in the Keen discord channel but, no I have not encountered it again. I think it is a pretty rare thing to be jumping right as the server crashes or restarts.

photo

Hello, Engi!

Thank you for the update. Unfortunately, if we can't reproduce it, we are not able to report it. I would encourage anyone who is having this issue to come and provide any extra information if at all possible as so far I have struggled to reproduce the issue.

Kind Regards,

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineers!

We're happy to inform you that the upcoming "203" update contains a fix for the bug you have reported. Thank you for taking your time to inform us about this issue and making Space Engineers better.

If you are still experiencing the bug on the new version, please let us know by commenting here or opening a new thread.

We are closing this thread as "Solved".

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

Replies have been locked on this page!