This object is in archive! 

Server Desync causing major problems

Ryan Berge shared this bug 2 years ago
Won't Fix

Hello, I am fairly new to the game but I've been playing with a couple friends on a dedicated server for a couple weeks now and we've been enjoying it, but we're running into a wall that potentially could push me away from continuing to play the game. We're playing on Survival, on a planetary start, and we've just progressed to beginning to build in space, and my ships keep exploding for no reason.

The entire time playing on this server character movement has seemed a little iffy; I tend to slide around and rubber-band when walking around my base, which suggests to me that the client and server don't always fully agree where my character is. However, it wasn't really a problem when it was just that.

So, fast-forward to a couple days ago and we're all making our first space-worthy ships and I want build a new home up near an asteroid. Everything is fine at first, then I remember the game's distinction between "Ships" and "Stations" and I figure this base isn't going anywhere at the moment so I convert it to a Station.

Well, the sliding around and rubber-banding returns, but much more pronounced than before and, more relevantly, because I'm in space every time my character glitches to the side or something my magnetic boots break their connection, so that feature is now effectively disabled. Trying to move around on the grid itself is impossible so I go to convert it back to a ship, except all I'm told is a generic error message telling me the operation failed.

At this time I'm also looking over at my solar panels, which are connected to a Rotor and Hinge combo, and every frame they seem to be in a different location which seems, well, alarming.

So I say well, it's not that big, I can just build it all again and move everything over. So I do that. I get it mostly up and running, the desync went away and I'm standing on the grid----which is stationary----and looking at my refinery when there's an explosion out of nowhere and I die.

I respawn at my friend's ship about 25km away and I float back to the waypoint I had set and I find what's left of the grid. The solar panels are gone but everything else seems intact. I have a small ship connected via a connector and I get in the cockpit and try to move the big grid around a little with the thrusters but all it seems to want to do is rotate counter-clockwise. I get out of the cockpit and find myself floating in empty space with nothing around; the grid (and my connected shuttle) are now about 1km away.

So... I rebuild everything again. There are no incidents for a few hours this time, but eventually it happens again: an explosion out of nowhere when everything is standing completely still nowhere close to anything and I die again. This time there isn't much left to salvage so I go back to the planet, make a bunch more components, and start over.

I make it much farther from the asteroid this time, over 2km. And lo and behold, another explosion. I don't die this time, just sent flying and I can see the grid spinning wildly end-over-end, solar panels destroyed again. It eventually stabilizes itself (maybe by virtue of the attached shuttle?) and I go back and rebuild the solar panels again and shortly afterward it explodes again. I die, and this time I respawn on the planet surface with no way to get back without building a whole new ship.

My best guess is that because the solar panels have been connected via a hinge, and are therefore technically on a separate grid, that the synchronization code sometimes decides that the panels have clipped into the rest of the ship. Since that's not allowed, it explodes. That said, plenty of people play multiplayer and seem to manage not to run into this issue and if there is a solution or a better explanation of what's happening, that would certainly be appreciated.

At this point I'm pretty much ready to move onto a different game; it's been unbelievably frustrating.

Replies (2)

photo

Hello, Ryan!

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing these issues.

It's very hard to look into something like this without a save file. You mention it is your friend's dedicated server rather than an official one for example. Have you also found this happens on official servers? Can you please provide a save file from your friend's server so that we could have a look at this?

You have mentioned an issue with the solar panels and hinge, if you could provide reliable steps for me to reproduce the issue with the save file, this would be excellent. Unfortunately, without a save file, this would be very hard to reproduce, report and fix.

Also, do you and your friends all have a stable connection? And most importantly, are you running any plugins or mods? If so, please remove these and re-test the issue.

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello,

Since there are no new comments in this topic and we are still not able to reproduce it,

we are closing this thread as outdated. In case anyone is encountering the same or similar bug, which is not already posted in a different thread, please feel free to create a new thread with all relevant information.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file