This object is in archive! 

View distance locked to 3km in all modes!

Baz Yat shared this bug 5 years ago
Won't Fix

The view distance is locked to 3km no matter how you set it in both multiplayer and single player. It will not change for me no matter what I set it to; I set it to 20km, load my game... things aren't visible at 5km. I log out, and the view distance is set to "custom". It will not stay at anything other than custom/3km.

Replies (5)

photo

Having the same issue. In the advanced options, the view distance setting reverts to custom instead of stating the actual distance. I have changed and reloaded the world, but it keeps stating custom whenever I check it. I have found that if I enter third person and angle the view while in a seat, I can get objects to render at further distances near the edge of the screen. In turrets, objects will only render close to 3.10 km. When getting close to an object, its like the object is entering a sphere, it doesn't render all at once. My system is well capable of running at great view distance. I will re-test this in a vanilla world soon.

I am running a modded world, but have no mods for view distances.

(Attached: Gif of how it looks when objects enter view, view distance settings jpeg, mods list jpegs.)

photo

I have found that if you alter the sbc file in the save folder for the world you can change the view distance. The issue happens when you crate an online world or change a world to being online.

Close your game and make these changes, then open it again.

look for E:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves\76561198103577718\name of save. There will be a file either called Survival.sbc or Sandbox.sbc. Change it to a .txt file. Open it and look for Sync Distance and View distance, change them both to your desired view distance in meters. They both need to be the same value (They will both be set to 3000 if this bug has occurred). After saving your changes, convert it back to an .sbc file.

photo

Same issue reported here https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/general/topic/ds-view-distance-locked-to-3km

On a server your suggested fix doesn't work as the DS will overwrite the Sandbox.sbc at every startup and editing the config of the servers also shows no effect as the gui will overwrite that one too.

I can't say how gamebreaking this is and just don't get why it hasn't been fixed yet. Instead you push out hotfixes to fix the missing elite welder description, which nobody can afford without seeing asteroids.

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Thank you for your feedback! Your topic has been added between considered issues.

Please keep voting for the issue as it will help us to identify the most serious bugs.

We really appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

2 years later and still doesn't fixed, pls keen fix it pls.

photo

Hello, PenPen!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this, are you able to provide a scenario/save where this happens? I have just been testing this and with a ship above 3KM I can actually see the ship as a small dot (but still is there!) could you also let me know which graphical settings you are playing on so I can reproduce the same settings? :)

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineers!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

Replies have been locked on this page!