This object is in archive! 

[1.200] Flickering Shadows

Slushtrap Gamer shared this bug 2 years ago
Reported

When playing on the lowest graphical settings, strange shadow-boxes seem to flicker in and out of existence, see provided video: https://youtu.be/Q18OFunG7FU

Replies (3)

photo

I can confirm this. To reproduce follow these steps:

• Set "Shadow quality" to "Medium"
  • Start the Lost Colony scenario that ships with SE as that has a fast sun rotation.
  • Drive to the GPS marker saying "Search for Hiroko Zhang!"

On your way you should see the shadows flickering like in the attached video. If this is by chance a driver or GPU issue, I'm using a Vega56 and tried Radeon software version 21.12.1 as well as the latest 22.2.1.

photo

Hello, Engineers!

Thank you for reporting the issue. Unfortunately we weren't able to reproduce it.

Can you please tell us what are your PC specs?

Please also check if your GPU drivers are up to date.

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

In my case, I am using the recommended AMD GPU which makes me hopeful that Keen keeps one of those around for QA testing:

• GPU: RX Vega56 on latest drivers (currently 22.2.1)
  • CPU: i5-9400F (6 core/6 thread)
  • 16 GiB RAM
  • Motherboard: ASRock B365 Pro4
  • Windows 10.0.19044

If the RX Vega56 is unavailable for testing, these chips are based on the same architecture and should behave the same: RX Vega64, Vega Frontier Edition, Radeon VII. The latter two come equipped with 16 GiB VRAM instead of 8 though if that makes a difference.

Repro steps as mentioned above.

photo

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti here, updated to the latest drivers and geared towards performence over quality. Still getting the shadow boxes.

photo

That pretty much rules out hardware and driver issues then. Can you confirm that the effect is strongest with "Medium" shadow quality, barely noticeable on "Low" and gone on "High"?

photo

To me it only appears on the low settings.

photo

Ok, then it is more complex than the thought. Today I tried to get some more background on this and checked if the problem was there in a clean install of 1.199. I did the following:

1. Going back to a clean version of 1.199:
    - In %APPDATA%\SpaceEngineers delete mipMapTextureCache2.B5 and rename SpaceEngineers.cfg to SpaceEngineers.cfg.bak
    - In the game Content\Data folder delete all but PlanetDataFiles (ore distribution textures) and Prefabs, thereby removing manual modifications to post-processing, translation and LOD-ing. (Yikes!)
    - Removed the 3rd party "PluginLoader"In Steam set the Beta to 1.199, let it download and verified game files
    - Started the game with no customization except enabling Experimental Mode
    - Did the repro steps again (albeit waiting for the sun to come around; forgot to mention that!)
    Result: Game pre-selected medium shadow details that used to flicker in 1.200 and shadows look good.
  2. Updating to 1.200
    - Update game to 1.200
    - In Steam, verified game filesIn %APPDATA%\SpaceEngineers deleted mipMapTextureCache2.B5 and SpaceEngineers.cfg
    Result: Shadows still looking good on medium details! Here I knew some setting or file was corrupted.

3. Re-enable the PluginLoader - still looking good
  4. Copy back over my game file modifications - still good
  5. Restore SpaceEngineers.cfg from backup - Shadows flicker again!

Having it reduced down to the SpaceEngineers.cfg, I compared started adding lines from the "bad" backup version to the good one using a merge tool until shadows started flickering again.

Summary

It turned out to be a combination of Shadow Quality and FOV slider. The default FOV is 70° and the bug only shows with lower settings. Without us posting our SE config the support team really couldn't reproduce it! The bug is most visible with low shadow quality and FOV around 54° or medium shadow quality and FOV at 40°. Then just remember to have sun rotation enabled and you should be able to reproduce it during the day time.

Best regards,

Marco

photo

Interestingly i use a fov slightly higher than 70 and it still shows, albeit only on low settings. But ill see if your theory is right.

Edit: it seems to be; i managed to get the shadow boxes appear on medium settings with a fov of 40.

photo
photo

Hello, Engineers!

Thank you Marco for extraordinary debugging! That was great help indeed!

With all the information you were able to gather and provide, issue was successfully reproduced and put into our internal system.

Once again, thanks both of you for going on with the comments and getting on the bottom of this.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file