[Custom Turret Controller] Add option to choose multiple azimuth and elevation rotors

TheWarMaster97 shared this feedback 2 years ago
Under Consideration

Some turrets need multiple elevation rotors (or azimuth rotors) like for example this one:

maxresdefault

As you can see it's a T shaped turret, with 3 rotors. The Custom Turret Controller block can't be used to control it right now, but it would be really useful. Especially if Solar Tracking is added, since many tracking solar panels designs are T shaped.

One way to implement this is to let players select a group of rotors, or alternatively use a multi-selection GUI like the one used to select guns. For each rotor selected there must be some way to invert the rotation, since the rotors face opposite directions.

Alternatively an option in the Rotor settings can be added to pair rotors. Paired rotors will move together, if one moves by some amount the other one will move by the same amount, but optionally in the opposite direction.

What I just said should also be applied to hinges.

If you agree please give a thumb up.

Replies (7)

photo

This would also allow other interesting creations, such as a height-adjustable connector mounted on an arm made with two hinges operating in opposite directions. This would allow the player to lift that connector while keeping it level.

photo

Parallelogram arms, yes!!

Also, even just to increase the available torque if one rotor isn't enough.

photo

5f75ff5d6c6f24f8a7defbcf1f838eef

photo
photo

Or if the target copy had a designater setting so that camera set to the control block would share the target within its group it ciuld work for turret grouping as well

photo

I wanted this for a drill rig where I used double hinges to make it fold together and wanted both to open up together.

And on that note, why not add the scroll wheel for a third axis to make it even more versatile to control cranes and welders and such.

That would be so very powerful and replace many easy scripted solutions (not more advanced sure, but for a simple crane it would be quite enough with 3 levels of control.

photo

d4e98c061fd6a3b1be14e776653353b5I really want my turret to work, so please do this.

And all the other cool things you could do if this is added, sound like a lot of fun to play around with.

photo

Yesssssss we need this, every turret script has dual elevation options, but the vanilla doesn't, this negates so many cool design possibilities!

photo

I would say just allow it to control groups of hinges/rotors. Then I could use it instead of Marts for things.

photo

Trouble with that approach is that you would need to configure the direction and sped of individual hinges or rotors in order to make proper use of this feedback request. Replacing the single slot for a rotor or hinge with a single slot for a group is only half a solution.

There might also be a performance penalty to groups, since the turret controller would have to periodically re-iterate through the group to find all of the blocks (and exclude any non-rotor blocks). It would also introduce problems when two identical ships with custom turrets dock at the same place, since now the groups will merge and all of the turret controllers will be controlling all of the grouped rotors.

photo

Ya, I feel like Mart's kinda just 'glazes over' the complications with a best effort approach, and I'm sure that won't be good enough for an official feature implementation.

photo

True,

So maybe you would need to be able to select multiple items and set direction on each for a stable solution.

Still it would be an immense enhancement to the turret controllers versatility :)

photo
photo

Until then, I suppose we have to make do with rotors that have a center hub and a conveyor port on both ends of the shaft, like nukeguard's Dual Head 1x1 Advanced Rotor https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1525239926, at least for those turrets.

photo

That is hard to use on the public servers and if on a private you already have the option to use scripts to solve this.

photo

No contest here. But the public servers are little more than trial playgrounds anyways with their limitations.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file