This object is in archive! 

Multigrid ships tilt in gravity

Adam shared this bug 2 years ago
Not a Bug

The problem

Game does not account for gyros on multigrid ships. This results in the ship slowly tilting towards the point of unbalance and eventually flipping over.

You have addressed a similar issue recently with ships "sinking" due to thrusters not accounting for weight of subgrids, but you didn't apply the same logic to gyros so while the ships stay at the same altitude they keep tilting if your subgrids are not positioned so you have a perfect center of mass.

Here is the easily reproducible scenario

In the picture below we have a flying platform with more than enough thrust to keep it afloat even with another ship attached. The attached ship is really just flying containers full of stuff to simulate unbalanced load on the main grid.

This results in the ship slowly tilting to it's side until eventually it flips over.

Considering you have fixed the bug with thrusters not accounting for subgrids, I presume it would make sense to fix gyros as well so the game is consistent? Afterall if you have unbalanced load on single grid ship it doesn't tilt either.

j5237832a9f81

I also made a reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengineers/comments/si0gh3/dampeners_on_multigrid_ship/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Replies (4)

photo

Hello, Adam!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Can you please provide your save file with this blueprint? It looks to me as you've mentioned that it's down to being imbalanced/center of gravity issue and working possibly as expected but I'd like to take a look to be sure.

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello, Laura

Thank you for the swift response. You are partially right that it would sort of make sense for ships to roll towards the unbalanced side. However, the problem I'm trying to point out is that the game is not consistent when it comes to dealing with multiple grids vs single grids.

In the attachment you will find my save file with 3 example ships (floating above spawn).

Blue ship

Represents the problem I'm trying to explain, if you stand still on it you should see how it slowly rolls (it moves at 0.01ms)

Green ship

Showcases how it should work by forcing one of the main gyros into a neutral override.

Yellow ship

Single grid ship with same amount of unbalanced load, yet it doesn't move. Just to prove my point that the game is not consistent.

As you can see, the game autobalances the ship and keeps it "straight" when it's just one single grid. No matter how unbalanced the load is.

However when you do the same with multiple subgrids or attached grids, the ship will start to roll beacuse the main ship gyros don't account for the weight of the subgrids.

I hope this makes sense :-)

photo

Hello, Engineer!

It´s already quite long time from when this issue was originally posted as well as from the last comment.

Are you still experiencing it? Or was it fixed in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for confirming me current situation.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

photo

Hi,

i just checked and the issue still persists.

I don't know what else I can do to demonstrate the problem. Honestly I'm down to chat on discord (google meets, etc..) and explain the issue there... alternatively i could make a video.

Please I beg you to look into this problem as it's going to be even more prominent with the AI update where we will be using drones heavily and everytime you will dock with a carrier in gravity it's gonna start tilting the said carrier to the heavier side and I'm gonna have an aneurysm.

Many thanks.

photo

Hello, Adam,

thanks for reaching to us.

I will reopen this one and we will investigate it more.

Kind Regards

photo

Hello, Adam,

thank you for providing the save with the ships.

After closer investigation on your provided save and some other blueprints/grids, we came to conclusion, that this is not an issue anymore.

While I do understand that it still is happening, please keep in mind that we had this issue in the past as well. It was much worse back then. This "slow tilting" of the grids is actually after the fix.

As it takes more than hour for me to wait for the blue ship to fall to the ground, the tilting is already slow enough. That is not an issue actually, but imprecision in constraint calculation. Exact calculation is impossible with reasonable amount of CPU work.

Kind Regards

photo

Ah that's a bit of a bummer but I do understand you concerns regarding performance.

But maybe you can help me understand one thing, how come the ship doesn't fall over when one of it's gyropscopes is set to neutral override? Wouldnt the calculation issue apply here as well? Shouldn't there be a solution that uses this technique without making it CPU intensive? Perhaps the new AI blocks could use this to keep the ship leveled without restricting the ships maneuverability?

Edit: Also "one hour" aint much in gamer terms :D Thats like one mining adventure and when i will come back the carrier will be upsidedown on the ground.

Thanks for investigating it btw, it's nice to see a company that cares.

A.

Replies have been locked on this page!