This object is in archive! 

Audio Disables on changing Spatial Sound

Belekai shared this bug 2 years ago
Won't Fix

In windows 10, there is an option to use spatial sound (Sonic for headphone, Dolby atmos etc). This is all done in windows via the sound card drivers. However, if i change the spatial sound while Space Engineers is running, it completely mutes the game. The only solution i have found is to close the entire game and restart. In that instance it works fine, or if i enabled it before launching the game.

I have noticed the same thing happen when i plug in my microphone (3.5mm audio jack), it instatly mutes the game.

Normally i would put this down to a windows bug, bad drivers or some other non gaming issue, however it only happens with space engineers, all my other games work fine turning the spatial sound on and off, or plugging my mic in if i forgot before launching.

Not sure why it happens but i can only assume any change to the default windows sound profile causes the game to mute itself.

Replies (5)

photo

Hello, Balekai,

thanks for letting us know.

However, I must say that I´m not experiencing this issue - I´m fully able to switch Windows Spatial Sound On/Off (Windows Sonic for headphones) even when in game or in menu. Same with plugging in microphone. No change in game when turned On/Off (well, the audio level and "depth" changes), all is working just fine and how it should - both Music and Sounds.

Can you please check your audio SW? Are your drivers for sounds card up-to-date?

If you are using some 3rd party software for sounds (most likely from the manufacturer of the headset), make sure this is up-to-date as well. If you are using some, also trying to run the game with this 3rd party SW disabled might be good idea.

And last, but not least, make also sure that you have the most recent firmware in your headphones.

Hope some of this will work and help you fix this issue. Please let me know.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I have checked my software, its just using the Realtek audio drivers. I checked the motherboard website (Asus) and the drivers are the lateste version. Either way i re-installed them but got the same issue.

I tried another set a headphones (3.5mm wired) as opposed to my bluetooth set, but this made no difference either.

I did setup audacity to record desktop audio, played some music and launched the game. I changed the spatial setting and as expected the game went silent, however the music i had on in the background continued to play. Listning back to the desktop recorder it recorded everything right up untill i changed the spacial sound setting, at which point it continued to record the music but not the game.

This tells me it has to be the application itself thats muting. I dont this is issue on any other game, just Space Engineers. Im sorry you were unable to re-create the problem. If there is anything else i can do to test please do let me know :)

photo

Hello, Belekai,

thanks for your response.

It´s sad that you are still experiencing it. I did try it multiple times from last time and still no luck. Even asked my colleague to try it as well as maybe different HW set might have different results. But she did not experience it neither.

Can I ask you please to share me log from the game?

You can access your log files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

Share me newest log from recent game, where this issue happens (so it covers the time when you switch to the Spatial sound). This is quite a long shot, but it´s possible that I would be able to see something there that would help me - some error, exception or something.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

photo
photo

Of course, no problem at all, please find attached as many of the logs as i am able to find. I have also included a screenshot to show that some of the logs seem to be very large. In one case, a single txt log is in excess of 1GB! That cant be normal can it?

I have excluded the large files due to bandwith reason, however if you wish for me to send them i will set aside the time and upload them, its no problem.

photo

Hello, Belekai,

thanks for the logs.

I can see that there are couple of mods taht you are using.

Can you maybe try to run vanilla (without any mods) game and see ifthe issue is persistent also without mods?

After you get rid of all the mods, also please verify teh integrity of the game through Steam. That might help as well.

Let me know.

Kind Regards

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Leave a Comment

Attach a file