Jump Drive Activation - Remote Control, Timers and Programable Blocks

Kanajashi shared this feedback 2 years ago
Submitted

I have always wanted to make a super long range drone system ferrying cargo from one planet to another. Or to coordinate the jump of an entire fleet of drone fighters alongside my carrier. But sadly jump drives will only activate through direct player action.

I asked this question in the recent livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIWf9muqNL8&t=6716s and I am responding to the information gained from the response.

The reasoning for why it is not allowed is the possible abuse and lag that it could cause if a person constantly jumped multiple drones around, loading and unloading areas. I completely agree that would cause issues on servers, but we already have a system in place to handle such issues. Just make it a game setting that defaults to off. There are many things in space engineers that can cause lag like Weather and Scripts but those are all controlled through the game settings. Having the new setting default to off would require no extra action from server owners and I would be able to turn it on for my single player worlds.

Summary: Jump drives can't be activated through automated means because people might abuse it and cause lag. However there is precedent set by the other lag causing items such as Weather and Scripts through the game settings. Therefore there is no real reason to keep jump drives only useable by direct player activation.

Replies (5)

photo

Aye. You could even file it under the Experimental mode. That's what "experimental" means, doesn't it? You know, potentially gameworld-destabilising, power-hungry features? Players who have the rig can switch it on. They paid for it, haven't they? But I already hear the whining. "Whee, what about Xbox?" Well, them yokels got what they deserved when they chose to buy into an obsolete-by-release, locked-down platform that plays PC games only after heavy castration. You reap what you sow. They can rot in their self-imposed mediocrity for all I care.

photo

I think an option to have one ship follow the other would be an epic option as well.

photo

This would be great for mods as well! I know of one fleet control mod that makes Space Engineers into a strategy game but unfortunately, fleet jumping can't be done with the mod cause there's no API Access to the jump drive functionality for modders.

photo

We could have a "jump dimension", as seen in Star Wars (the clone wars animated series), in which nothing would be loaded (aka lag-free), and the ship would stay a time in it. At the end of this time, the ship would reappear at the calculated destination

photo

With the Automatons update this seems more needed than ever. I'd really like to live my dream of having refuel drones picking up tanks of hydrogen from my Europa facility and transporting them around the system to my other bases. Very limiting not being able to use jump drives with drones.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file