Pertam inconsistent gravity well

René Kok shared this bug 2 years ago
Reported

Recently I have been getting comments on my steam workshop script saying it doesn't work on the planet Pertam. It uses the IMyShipController.TryGetPlanetPosition function in order to calculate an orbit for a ship. After some investigation I noticed the problem is that Pertam doesn't have a consistent height at which the gravity well is defined. You can easily see this by flying around it and looking at the horizon indicator. Whenever this indicator is visible the TryGetPlanetPosition function will return a valid result, but the height at which this shows up varies a lot. I've been told that at some places it's as low as 3000m with a gravity of .8g.

Replies (2)

photo

I've noticed Pertam having its gravity well changed in a recent update, but didn't see it mentioned in any patch notes (might have missed it though) - it used to have a very small gravity well, around 8-10 km, but after starting a new game post Heavy Industry update, it's now more like 18-19km. Their stealth-edit might have screwed up existing or new saves.

photo

Hello, René,

thanks for letting us know about your concern.

Can you please share more info? Meaning... mainly the save, please? :) If there is/are any pinpointed places on the planet, that you can mark e.g. by GPS locations... ?

Also as you are mentioning, it´s happening with some script of yours, so having the save with ship and the script already running would be a great help!

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello Ondrej,

I did some flying around and marked the gps locations that clearly show the problem. The lowest altitude where I lose the horizon indicator was just 2.8km, compared to the highest of 18km.

I attached the save file to this comment, with the script also running on the ship.

photo

Hello, René,

thanks a lot for the save file. From it and with the height values shown on GPS, the issue was successfully reproduced and put into our internal system.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file