This object is in archive! 

Severe graphics artifacts after joining Keen public server

hobbes409 shared this bug 2 years ago
Won't Fix

After joining a Keen public server, I had massive graphics artifacts blocking most of the character view, but only when facing a specific direction. I recorded video of the effect, please let me know the best way to share it.

This has happened several times in the past two weeks, but never this severe and previously only showed up on the far side of the asteroid I was close to. If I flew to that asteroid and caused a voxel update the artifacts would disappear.

In this case however, it made the game unplayable since I couldn't see to access ships, cargo, etc. if I was facing a specific direction. The fix was to leave the game and restart.

I've also had the game often crash to desktop when joining a server, probably around 50% of the time. The game sometimes has a dialog box which FALSELY blames overclocking of my GPU (it is not overclocked) or out of date video drivers (they are not out of date).

Replies (3)

photo

Hello, hobbes409,

thanks for letting us know about your issue. We are sorry that you are experiencing it.

Please share the video here as an attachment. If the video is too big to be attached here, you can try to zip it or upload it to youtube or any other video/streaming service. If you don´t want others to be able to find and see the video, you can set the settings as unlisted, so only the ones with the link can view it.

Anyway... even before seeing the video...

Are you still experiencing it? Or was it just some one time thing? Does it happen only on one specific server that you are playing on all the time (which one?), or did you try it on different servers as well? Does this issue happen to you also in single player game?

Did you try to verify the game data (Steam library - SE - right click - Properties - Local files - Verify the integrity of game files.

If you have already tried this and it didn´t help, please try to go to you Roaming folder (you can access this by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to this folder). After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\. There you shall be able to locate the SharedCache2 folder. Try deleting this and run the game again.

If this still won´t help you, next what you can try is to delete this SE folder completely. Please backup you saves/blueprints/mods that you want to preserve by copying them to some other location on you PC. After deleting this folder and running the game again, it will be created anew with all shaders, configs and such newly created as well.

Feel free to copy your backed-up folders back and try to run the game again on the server or in single player game from your save files.

Please let me know if any of the suggestions here helped you resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I haven't noticed a pattern for when it happens. I have only seen it on Keen public server CA2. I haven't played single player locally for a few weeks, since I started playing SE again a few weeks ago. The severe artifacts example has happened once, the moderate artifacts has happened maybe five or six times in the past two weeks.

I will test verifying the game data next, then the other troubleshooting steps after that.

Video 1: (severe artifacts) https://youtu.be/U3t0cNVpWBY

Video 2: (moderate artifacts) https://youtu.be/IgjJXGWXrdg

The videos are low quality, unfortunately... I had some incorrect settings on my capture software. If it happens again I will upload higher quality.

photo

"11 files failed to validate and will be reacquired."

I will monitor and update if I see the graphics glitches again after this.

photo

The moderate artifacts has happened once more AFTER verifying game data. It only lasted a few seconds before I moved through the plane of the artifact and it disappeared, so I wasn't able to get more video.

photo

Hello, hobbes409,

thanks for providing the videos.

Good that after verification of the data, you saw some improvements!

If the issue is still ongoing, please try also other steps I provided in the first comment (deleting SharedCache2 folder, back-up save, blueprints and such and deleting whole SE folder in Roaming).

Can you also please provide the log from some of your game sessions where you experience this issue? You are able to find those in Roaming folder as well (txt files named SpaceEngineers_(some numbers) and VRageRender).

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Kind Regards

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Replies have been locked on this page!