This object is in archive! 

Local and Workshop Blueprints not loading

Edward Cantrell shared this bug 2 years ago
Won't Fix

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help with this or find what's causing it.

For the past year, maybe more, I've been unable to load blueprints from the workshop, regardless if it's through the F10 menu or when using projectors. Not too long ago, it seems to have spread to my personal blueprints. I went through some forums to try and see if anyone else had the same problem, and found nothing.

I did find that enabling and disabling cloud storage temporarily lets me use my personal blueprints, though after switching worlds, I lost their use again. (It was an empty world with nothing in it except me)

The odd thing is that when I go to leave the blueprint screen, it gives me the 'bigger grids take time to load' notification, but the grids I'm loading are small, some less then 5k blocks.

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, and I've been trying to figure out a fix, but at this point, I've given up. Is there any way you guys can help me?

(Note: There are no logs involving this since the game neither crashes nor does it seem to try to load anything.)

Replies (16)

photo

Hello, Edward!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Firstly, when you say 'not loading' do you mean they are not showing up or, you click on them and they actually will not load? I have done some digging and found this thread which may be useful for you depending on what sort of loading you mean as mentioned before :) I see you say about enabling and disabling your cloud storage, does this mean it is usually set to off?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello, Laura

That thread was the first one I saw in my search. Sadly, that isn't the problem. I can see the blueprints, and some even show statistics for the ship, but I can't seem to load the blueprint to paste into the world, or even to build using a projector.

My cloud storage us usually off. It was off by default, and I had no reason to turn it on until I thought it might help. It didn't, so I switched it back off.

This problem has been going on for so long, I even went so far as to uninstall and reinstall the program more then five times. I have no clue what has changed, but it definitely has been going on for a long while.

I hope what I've said is helpful.

- Edward

photo

Hello, Edward!

Thank you for the further information. Is it possible to supply a log from when this happens? It may be that we are able to spot something in this.

• You can access your log files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Sorry for the late response. Here is the most recent log, literally made shortly before this response went out.

For this, I made a brand new world, no mods, just a fresh world. I attempted loading one of my own blueprints, and was surprised when it let me load it. (I didn't paste it though)

After, I tried running a blueprint from the workshop. I added a picture that shows that this isn't a large or complicated blueprint, and it has no mods on it. By all rights, it probably should've loaded better then my blueprint, which has mods on it. (Or would, if those mods were in the world)

I waited for a few minutes, giving it ample time to load, but when nothing happened, I gave up, and hit escape, and got the second image, which makes no since since there was no indication that it was loading, let alone working.

I'm sorry if the log doesn't help, but it's the best I have aside from recording a video.

photo

Hello, Edward!

Thank you for the further information. Could you please unsubscribe to all the workshop blueprints, backup and delete all the blueprints in your roaming folder, verify your game files in Steam (Right-click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Local Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files), create any local blueprint, and try to paste it. Then also do the exact same with subscribing to any workshop blueprint. All of this with Steam cloud off.

Please let me know how you get on :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi again.

I will be honest, I'm a little scared to unsubscribe from the blueprints because I'm not sure I'll be able to find them again. (That tends to happen quite a bit) I'll go ahead an do it, but something tells me it won't work.

As for verifying the file integrity, I have been doing that a lot, with no results. It seems like the game is suppose to be working 'as intended,' but then, as intended shouldn't be giving me these problems.

I'll go ahead and try this, and see where it goes from there.

On another note, I just checked my 'subscribed items' page, under blueprints, and found I have 531 entries, the oldest from November 2nd, 2014. O_O

I'll look at clearing them tomorrow and we'll see what happens from there.

-Edward

photo

Hello, Edward!

I appreciate it will be a bit daunting but don't forget to back them up first :) It will be interesting to see the verifying after these are removed to see if this plays a part at all. Please let us know how you get on after all this :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Ok, so I removed all the blueprints, made a simple ship blueprint and subscribed to a single workshop blueprint. It seems to be working now.

Is it possible that, some point several years ago, that something changed that put a hard limit on the number of blueprints you can be subscribed to? I know that the past year has also had an odd thing going on where my game takes ages to even boot up because it's looking for workshop item updates.

photo

Ok, this is interesting. So I subscribed to a few more blueprints. It seems like the older blueprints, which don't show a picture or have much of the basic statistical data, are the ones that the loading system hangs up on. I think this is about the game having trouble reading the older blueprints, which is causing load issues.

I don't think that anyone else has noticed because no one else looks at the older blueprints. I love using a few of them, like the RCSP Arrowhead.

Also, just a note, to load a normal blueprint after selecting an older one, I have to close the f10 menu and reopen it, then select the one I want. It just hangs up the whole system. Have these changes to the way the system works invalidated all the old blueprints?

photo

Hi, Laura.

I haven't received a response in a while, so I thought I'd check in and see if my testing has yielded any results.

- Edward

photo

Hello, Edward!

Thank you for getting me back to me. Could you please link me one of the blueprints you think are hanging for you? I've had a look for some RCSP items and 'arrowhead' provided a few results. I have tested a couple but no problems with them so just to double-check with what you have. I have also looked for some blueprints that specifically are old or missing a picture and there was a slight hang but nothing more than a second or two. If you have any you could provide, I will have a look at these :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi, Laura,

Sorry about the late response. Since I resubbed to the RCSP items, I'll go ahead and leave links to them here.

RCSP - Arrow Fighter: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683621111

RCSP - Arrowhead Shuttle: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657448302

RCSP - Falcon: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657449604

RCSP - Terra Crawler: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=647127699

These are just some of them, but it should give you an idea of what's going on.

Hope this helps.

-Edward

photo

Hello, Edward!

Thank you for linking these. Unfortunately, these loaded almost instantly for me. Did you end up clearing all of the blueprints and re-subscribing to these or were these still subscribed?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi Laura,

Yes I did. In fact, these were the first I resubscribed to after clearing out every blueprint, including personal ones, and I ran the game without them so I could make sure to clear any cache it might still have. (That same game, I made a quick and dirty personal blueprint. Only 9 blocks.)

I hope we find this soon. I'd really like to work with some of the old blueprints.

-Edward

photo

Hi Laura.

Just checking to see if you guys need any more information from me. I'm concerned that, if this is unfixable, I won't be able to use blueprints. Is there any update on this?

-Edward

photo

Hello, Edward!

These blueprints still load almost instantly for me sadly. Could you please try the following (I appreciate you may have tried a couple already)

• Verify your game files in Steam

• Right click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Local Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

/bfSnH0rGoN-NgctSWBJN3LfvWZvgnfye9BrPgucxV0n8TDpNc-7yZYwSifdRXyl1quu20KGUNmHzSf6VGRbhWS4a_EYn2MclxJSOz6eVarmz-fhTWVaofVOAVZN_l_leF9dgQ5GF

• Delete SpaceEngineers.cfg file

• It means your game configuration will be deleted
  • You can access your SpaceEngineers.cfg by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

• Delete ShaderCache folder

• Back up your whole Space Engineers Roaming folder and delete it
  • Restart Steam
  • Reinstall VC Redist 2017
  • Update graphic drivers
  • Reinstall the game
  • Make sure your operating system is fully updated

Please let me know how you get on with this :) Hopefully one of these will help the issue for you.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi Laura!

Sorry about me not contacting you right away. I didn't seem to get the email alert, which is strange...

Anyway, I have moved the file and folder in question away to my desktop, and after having my ears blown out by the music, I spent went ahead and tried testing.

The first thing I noticed, which I didn't before, was that I was in experimental mode. Not sure if that makes a difference about the available features or not. The newer ships loaded as normal, but when I went to the older ships, I still had no images on them, and they refused to load.

I reinstalled VC Redist, it's now at 2019, after this test, but haven't restarted as of writing. (If it works, I'll message again in a few minutes. I also updated my graphics driver to the latest, but to be honest, I don't think either of these two are going to help. (My computer is always up to date.)

I don't know if this helps, but for some reason, my game is always 'validating' itself, leading to long periods where it won't launch until it's done. Sometimes it takes 20-30 minutes before it lets me play. I don't know what the reason for this is, but it doesn't go away if I reinstall the game.

photo

Hello, Edward!

Thank you for the update. I'm pretty much exclusively in experimental mode so I have tested it in this :)

The fact that the game is always validating does seem suspicious as it certainly shouldn't be doing that. Have you tried reinstalling Steam? Does this happen with any other games?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi, Laura!

No, I haven't reinstalled Steam, never had a reason to, but it has been getting regular updates.

Space Engineers is the only game that does this validation thing. It makes no since. It sometimes happens on startup for Steam, most of the time when I click on the game, and always when I exit the game. Sometimes, it'll just randomly do it with no input from me.

I hope this info helps.

-Edward

photo

Hello, Edward!

Thank you again for the further information. After a discussion with a colleague, there are a few things. The issue has happened before when a workshop blueprint has been attempted to be pasted however, it was already deleted from the PC. The files should be in \Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\244850 would there be any chance you have edited or deleted them from this file? Secondly, do you have the option to try to paste any of these on a second PC at all? I appreciate not everyone can do this. Thirdly, we would recommend that the game and Steam is reinstalled. I think you have reinstalled the game previously but not Steam so please do try this and let us know your findings :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi, Laura!

I have not edited or deleted anything in the folder you're referring to. I have been in there, yes, but that was to check out some old mods, mostly to see if I could make an personal, up-to-date version for myself. (Some were pretty good back then. :P) I never deleted the original files.

Come to think about it, I just checked the size of this file, and it's 26.3gb in size. Could that have something to do with it?

I'll try reinstalling Steam, but I doubt it'll work. I base this assumption on the fact that Space Engineers is the only game doing this.

photo

Hello, Edward!

Thank you again for more information. In regards to the size of the file, possibly. Could you move all these to another file somewhere and just put one blueprint in that you're already having an issue with and see if you still do when it's the only one? That would narrow down if it's just the sheer amount you have in there.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi, Laura!

Ok, so I went ahead and reinstalled Steam, which wasn't happy about finding all its games again, but at least it's not screaming at me. That seemed to improve something at the time, but only to the modern blueprints.

I went ahead and pushed those files out of the way to my desktop. That didn't seem to work as it locked out even my own test blueprint, so I tried reinstalling. It still wasn't working, until I made another blueprint, and lo and behold, it all started working, including the older blueprints. As a precaution, to see if it's just a 1-time thing, I restarted the game - like I have to do when making small adjustments to my models for mods - and it was still working perfectly.

However...the validation issue is back, though it might be it downloading workshop files again. T_T

photo

Hello, Edward!

That all sounds quite positive other than the validating again. It could be that the size of the folder is what's causing the issue by the sounds of it. The remaining issue is still the validating, has this since calmed down (if it was possibly downloading files?)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Huh, guess this is what I get for not watching my email like a hawk.

If you guys are still there, I'd love to continue, as a new development came up with the validation, but if you guys are really done, then I guess I'm on my own.

I hope that is not the case.

-Edward

photo

Hello, Edward!

Thank you for getting back to us. What has since come up with the validation?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi, Laura,

It's a very odd thing, steam has indicated that the manifest is missing when it goes to try to download workshop items. It sometimes still downloads the workshop items while I'm in game, but after a short while it's stops, saying 'manifest missing.'

Not sure where this manifest would be located, but it might be the root cause of all this.

photo

Hello, Edward!

I have had a quick look online and came across this which might help you out. It may be worth a read at least! https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_fix_steam_missing_or_unavailable_content_manifest_errors.html It would seem that this is more a problem with Steam rather than the game by the sounds of it so I'm not sure what other help we can offer but let me know how you get on with this :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi, Laura.

So I went ahead and tried the suggestions on the site, and even went looking for more options. Sadly, nothing on there has worked. It's only on the workshop items, so I have to ask: is there anything that stores what should be downloaded? (Like a manifest?)

photo

Hello, Edward!

After speaking with a colleague, they suggested if it is at all possible to try this on another PC with your Steam account? I know not everyone has this ability, but it may narrow things down slightly. In terms of manifest, that's not something I have not run into myself, unfortunately.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello again, Edward!

After speaking to another colleague, they have a couple of things to add. Could you check if you have anything in your cloud folder? Do you ever publish anything to the workshop yourself? E.g mods etc. Finally, I know you reinstalled the game but did you remove everything? If not, please try to properly uninstall it once more by manually deleting all the remaining files in both - %appdata% SE folder (obviously, not your saves that you want to keep and blueprints) and from the directory where the game is installed in your Steam folder as well. It´s possible that you may have some files, configs etc broken, changed (intentionally or not) and thus these would not get properly uninstalled from your system, nor verified through Steam.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi, Laura!

Sorry for the late response. I've been trying to deal with some stuff.

I upload mods to the workshop. I've made quite a few, and I keep the originals with me just in case.

I tried reinstalling again, and deleted the folder in the appdata folder, minus my stuff. The main folder was removed as per normal. I will let you know if this does any good.

I don't know how to access to the cloud folder, but I do see a thing about keeping the saves. However, it reads '0 bytes stored.'

photo

Hi again, Laura!

So after reinstalling, I went ahead and played for a few minutes, looking around one of the custom start points that come stock with the game. (I have not installed my mods folder, but I did add 3 workshop mods to the game for future use.)

Steam started going crazy, trying to download something involving the game and validate it, and even did this for about 30 seconds after I closed it. After that, it reads 'Manifest Unavailable' once more. It keeps trying to do it, though I have no idea what it's trying to download. Gameplay wise: it seemed alright, smoother even, but when it started doing the download thing, I would hear the Windows sound of something disconnecting, and each time, had a minor stuttering.

Also, I discovered a bug with the animations. When you have a welder out, and you switch from it to nothing using the '`' key, it still has the animation of you holding the welder, even though said welder is gone. I was using a Tier 2 Welder, if that helps.

Hope this helps.

-Edward

photo

Hello, Edward!

Thank you for the update.

I have had a look and found this thread https://steamcommunity.com/app/244850/discussions/6/618459405717512329/?l=czech it may be worth a look. I know you are able to actually start the game but there was a mention of a drive scan and defrag.

With regards to the welder, this is a known bug and it currently awaiting a fix :) https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/welding-tool-glitch

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hi, Laura.

So, I had a look at that, and while I was skeptical about it working, since I have SE installed on an SSD, and most of what they suggested is stuff we already covered, I went ahead and tried defragmenting all my drives, and looking in the folder listed. (I don't exactly know what it means by 'drive scan' in this case.

The 'downloading' folder holds nothing at all. Part of this may be because the download doesn't even start, or has trouble starting, but as far as I can tell, there is nothing there. Defragging/optimizing also didn't help, as it did the same thing.

I'm sorry if this is causing a bit of frustration on your end, since this definitely isn't something that is normal, and is incredibly frustrating to me as well.

Replies have been locked on this page!