Mech Legs.

divan shared this feedback 2 years ago
Submitted

In this post, I will tell you about my idea to add a new type of ground vehicle movement to game - a mech legs. (sorry for my English) I hope developers will be able to do this. I also attached photos with two types of legs to this post for a better understanding - these are normal legs and spider-like legs. Of course, it's not my business to decide on their appearance in the game, but they would look good in such a beautiful game. Maybe a community really wants to see this in the game Thank you for reading this post and I hope that I will get answers and questions!

0?ui=2&ik=8b23ed35e9&attid=0

0?ui=2&ik=8b23ed35e9&attid=0

Notes for developers:

Industrial and combat variant of legs

Magnetic connection in space (like on boots of engineer)

Wheel-like block or multiblock(this variant will be great and harder to realize)

Character-like movement

Replies (2)

photo

There are mods for leg based propulsions, what the game needs really are feet that grab the ground like a landing gear for one step and release the grab again for the foot to rise to the next spot. All mech mods i saw so far do look like they slide over the ground because the feet are just ordinary armor blocks or such, nothing that really have any ground adhesion.

photo

Sure, you can't do normal legs in vanilla, but if you take landing gear, timer block with looped grab/release gear(or even sensor) and a lot of rotors or hinges - that will be better than nothing. So on this concept we can even build a mod, that will really show to us, how it will work (that is my opinion)

photo

How about going a step back first and request rl tank tracks for this game before we request sci-fi tank technology?

photo

And about tank tracks - they are easier to do by placing an invisible small wheels on the bottom of track with animations (movement, collision and etc). But mech legs are little bit a challenge for our Keen's developers. So, the game is about sci-fi engineers and this is pretty normal technology for this time.

photo

Correct me if i am wrong but the only sci-fi technology in this game is the jumpdrive. Weapons are limited to rockets and bullets, drives are limited to ion, jet and hydrogen. The only features that really break realism are the distances in space, the fact that our enginers dont age and dont starve and that we have a hydrogen fueled jetpack. And even if tank tracks can be somehow builded with the vanilla game, same works for mech legs so.. we are still even.

photo

There's always a discussion about how sci-fi it is, but as I said before, it's not my place to make a decision about them appearing in the game. And we can go a little beyond our capacity with our imagination to explain the movement mechanisms of this possibly soon-to-be-added version of the movement. As stated on the official website of Keens: "If we step into the sci-fi area - as we did with Space Engineers - we approach it from the hard-sci-fi angle. Every technology and every idea must be explainable using modern-era knowledge with very little extrapolation required."

photo
photo

this can technically already be achieved with timer blocks. you just gotta put time and effort into it, aswell as the fact that in doing so you are actively pissing off klang and asking him to SMITE you.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file