This object is in archive! 

[187] Fullscreen blur caused by post processing (chroma/vignette in particular)

Digi shared this bug 6 years ago
Solved

First off, the chromatic aberration and vignette features individually cause this issue, I've disabled all post process and enabled one or the other, they both cause it.

To show you what I mean, first I've set models to extreme, textures to high and filtering to x16, the only things I changed was the post processing setting.

I also added a screenshot with both postprocess and FXAA on.

It's extremely blurry, and a waste of GPU power rendering a 1080p image for it to be degraded to 720p clarity.

Replies (7)

photo

yes this is still a problem, my nice crisp graphics are being blurred on the whole screen, shouldnt this be just around the edges?

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Thank you for your feedback! Your topic has been added between considered issues.Please keep voting for the issue as it will help us to identify the most serious bugs.

We really appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Same issue. Still not fixed 8 months later.

photo

It's a simple bug in the shader code for chromatic aberration. The shader reads pixels from a bilinear shader at integral coordinates instead of the center of each pixel. Effectively it is shifting the image by half a pixel to the bottom right, which you can notice if you look closely at the image while toggling post processing. The fix is to change ChromaticAbberation.hlsl, line 56 from:

float2 uv = (texel / frame_.Screen.resolution);
50d0d858759d2369257fd4ac26dbd86dto:

float2 uv = ((texel + 0.5) / frame_.Screen.resolution);
bd3ee495748dd2d6d3c790280e4c1fa6

#LowHangingFruit

photo

Thank you for evaluating the issue. While at it, take a look at the Fxaa.hlsl shader as well. Where it says:

1, // try 1, sth about subpixel

If you substitute 0.3, the image becomes much more crisp.

The effect of FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET is more subtle. I haven't noticed any major change in quality after going from 29 to 11. Not sure if that would help last gen graphics cards. Just wanted to throw that in if anyone wants to run some quick benchmarks. Simply switching off and on FXAA in the settings reloads all the post-processing shaders.

photo

The fix is integrated in version 1.197.180 and things look crisp now :o). Thank you!

Xocliw never noticed any blur, but with a keen eye it was very noticeable, wasn't it?

photo

Hello, Marco,

Thank you for your confirmation!

Kind Regards

photo

Fixed in version 197.180.

Replies have been locked on this page!