New block suggestions for future update

Harley Maxson shared this feedback 3 years ago
Submitted

Hello staff at Keen! I humbly request a suggestion that you guys consider adding a few new quality of life improvement blocks to a future update/dlc; these ideas come from existing mods on the steam workshop and I would love to see them in the vanilla game:

1) A capital ship sized large grid 3x3x3 gyro. Having 27 times the volume of a 1x1x1 gyro it should have at least 27 times more torque and power grid requirements, and save some space!

2) Add a large selection of interior passageway variants. Currently in vanilla there is only a strait passageway option, no corners, T or four-way intersections.

3) Add missing light and heavy armor block variants that are available from mods. There are a huge amount of extra possibilities for additional armor slope and corner/inverted corner variants. It would also be nice to see block segments for creating 3x1x1 and 4x1x1 armor slopes to add to the 1x1x1 45 degree slope block and the 2x1x1 slope segments that exist already in vanilla.

Below I have linked 3 mods to look at for inspiration:

SF - Encased Gyroscopes: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1229065595

PassageIntersections: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=946724937&searchtext=passage

AQD - Armor Expansion: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1939935505

Thank you for all the great work that you do on this amazing game Keen!

Replies (2)

photo

The gyro example you gave seems to be a bit overpowered. I wouldn't say it should be 27 times stronger as that's a bit excessive. However that's a numbers debate. The only way I could get behind a gyro that powerful is if it's also sucking up a proportional amount of power compared to the amount of torque it can apply.

As for the other stuff, I would love to see more passage blocks. I'm also still wanting to see rotating doors that can be used for better airlocks.

photo

Captainbladej52, thank you for commenting on my suggestion. I agree the proposed capital ship gyro should use proportionally more power based on its increased torque and stated as much when I mentioned "27 times more torque and power grid requirements." Also I'm right there with you on the rotary airlocks, i always use the rotary airlock door mod on the workshop its amazing. Anyway, with Keen's continual improvements to space engineers performance, I have found that it is increasingly feasible to build larger and larger capital ships (at least in single player, on my friend's multiplayer server it seems even using close to 100k pcu starts to really cause a lot of lag and rubber banding unfortunately), and I just really want Keen to better support ultra large capital ship builds. Additionally, while I didn't mention it in my list of suggestions, I would also love to see a bit more diversity in weapons in the base game, such as a powerful but slow rate of fire single shot cannon or railgun; and also larger capital ship variants of existing turrets such as a 5x5x5 size in addition to the existing 3x3x3 option for large grids.

photo
photo

Edit: Thank you Keen devs for eventually implementing the added interior passages and most of the extra block variants!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file