[VIDEO] Slow camera orientation update in stationary ship with no mouse input

Steven Pickles shared this bug 3 years ago
Outdated

Hi,

When I first noticed this bug when I was prospecting for asteroids. Whenever I was looking through a zoomed in camera, the frame rate appeared to slow down. After a lot of testing I have determined that the frame-rate isn't slowing down, but when ship is stationary and the mouse is moving very slowly or not at all, the camera orientation stops updating smoothly and instead only updates about once per second. This happens frequently when you are making the fine movements necessary to line up the cross-hair for a blind jump to a distant asteroid.

Presumably this is intended to be an optimisation because "on paper" it sounds like there should be no need to update the camera orientation if there is no input and the ship is stationary, but in practice, the view is always drifiting a little bit, and the rate limit kicks in so quickly after input stops as to make it feel as if the mouse is getting "stuck" or the game is stuttering somehow.

I've recorded a video to demonstrate. In the video I am looking through a safe-zone shimmer with a zoomed in camera at a distant GPS point. The shimmer helps illustrate that the frame rate never drops, it is only the camera orientation that becomes "jerky".

https://youtu.be/vFya0RSiIE0

Initially (0:00-0:05) I am moving he mouse to show that the update is smooth when the mouse is moving (or perhaps when the ships gyro is active).

Then I release the mouse (0:05-0:10) to show that the GPS point and the safe-zone-shimmer jerkily drifts without any input.

I briefly thrust the ship (0:10-0:15) to show that the movement of the GPS point and shimmer is again smooth while the ship has some small velocity.

Finally I return to cockpit view briefly to show that the effect is still present in this view, but not as noticeable.

I've also attached my DxDiag output in case it is something peculiar to my machine.

I am currently running version 1.195.022

I've only recently noticed this so I'm not sure if it was present in earlier versions.

Thanks,

pix

Replies (1)

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Thank you for your feedback! Your topic has been added between considered issues.

Please keep voting for the issue as it will help us to identify the most serious bugs.

We really appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file