[1.193.103] Rotor limits and clang

Dementiurge shared this bug 4 years ago
Outdated

Build a battery, rotor, and attach a structure from the rotating part. Set the rotor's velocity, minimum angle and maximum angles to positive values.

Slide the maximum angle back and forth and observe the rotor's behavior.

Result: The rotor will make sudden backwards adjustments. The rotor being near 0 degrees, rotating slowly, or rotating a structure with subgrids, can contribute to the violence of these adjustments.

Expected result: The rotor will stop or continue rotating at the desired speed when outside the limit.

Replies (3)

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Thank you for your feedback! Your topic has been added between considered issues.

Please keep voting for the issue as it will help us to identify the most serious bugs.

We really appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

This shouldn't be outdated because it is still a problem and cause for massive clang. The problem is basically, if you change your rotor limits so that the current angle of the rotor falls outside those limits, the rotor will automatically move to set itself within those limits with an unholy amount of torque. Because of that huge torque, if the rotor is carrying some mass on it, it will pick up too big of a momentum to get itself to stop at the new limit and it will overshoot. So all you have to do is make your current angle fall outside the limit by a few degrees and you'll get a massive swing of the rotor with some serious clang. Setting rotor limits that makes your current angle violate those limits should either not be allowed (should display a warning and not do anything on its own) or if the rotor attempts to set itself within the new limits it should do it with a torque/speed cap so as to avoid clang. I'd personally prefer the former...

photo

Hello, K.Hunter!

We set older threads to outdated to ask people to retest them on the latest version. I have had a look at this with the original user's steps but am unable to reproduce this. Could you please supply a save file with reliable reproduction steps for us to look into? :)

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.
  • Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Ok it turns out this really isn't as easy as I thought to reproduce. I wanted to create a simple scenario to reproduce it, but I actually couldn't either... I do know from my own recent experience that sometimes things get very weird and clangy just by changing rotor limits. I will try to narrow down the issue and see if I can put together a repro scenario soon...

photo

Hello, K.Hunter!

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully, you are able to create a reproduction scenario for us to have a look at. :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Not outdated. Happens to me all the time on a server.

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/rotors-min-and-max-limit

photo

I had the exact same suspicion! I didn't attempt to confirm yet myself, but your video shows it very clearly. I think this should be easily reproducible on a server (not sure if it happens on hosted and what you used for the video, but I usually play on dedicated), while in singleplayer changing rotor limits already behaves exactly as I suggested how it should in my first reply here, i.e. without issues. This is very likely why I couldn't reproduce the problem before. It seems Clang has possessed rotor limits on server environments only at the moment...

photo

Thx for suporting my thread, they will delete some of them with the same issue anyway.

As for reproducible.. yeah i have to reproduce my drills every god damn day i play, i have no trouble reproducing this issue.

This is filmed on Keen EU 2 with nvidia, the recording is a bit glitchy att he start, but it shows the issue well enough.

photo

Hey Hunter, check out this one lmao.

https://youtu.be/eA5SBUvfyIA

photo
photo

Hello, Engineers!

This has now been reproduced in this thread here :) https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/rotors-min-and-max-limit

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file