[1.196] Turrets on DS not targetting automatically

John Willig shared this bug 41 days ago
Need More Information

I am running a Dedicated Server for friends with a number of mods installed. I use the provided Dedicated Server Manager(i.e not Torch). None of the turrets(small, large, gatling, missile, station) seem to be targeting or firing automatically. They don't even animate on their own with idle turret movement enabled. I don't have any turret mods, or added weapons, they are vanilla. Combat usually doesn't go on too much on this server, so this could have been broken for a while, but I haven't tested rolling back DS versions. Turrets do function if controlled manually using the "Control" option, it is only automatic targeting, firing, and animation that doesn't. Settings all appear to be correct and they do have ammo.

I have tried stripping out all mods and the problem persists. I have created a brand new empty server with no mods, and the problem persists. I copied the Server world to the local save, and started it up there with the same mods installed and everything seems to work ok. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the DS itself.

I have seen enemy ships firing turrets, but I think they are actually script controlled via mods for modular encounters spawner/RivalAI and don't actually work normally. I have used admin mode to visit some of these up close and I see the same things as mine in that idle animations aren't working, so I still suspect these are script controlled to fire.

I am happy to capture any logs or anything needed to help debug and solve, but it seems pretty straightforward to recreate. I'm more surprised I can't find anyone else having these issues. I would think it would be seen more with other DS. When I get some time i'll try rolling back versions to see if I can make it work that way.

Thanks,

Comments (5)

photo

Ok, my rollback testing went quicker than expected. I rolled the server and client back to 1.195.024. I could not use my current save since it had already been upgraded to the new version, but I found an old backup of the world from 08/05/2020 that was at 1.195.024. I booted it up and logged in and straight away i could see turrets on my base moving around and behaving normally. pasted in a blueprint i made a few days ago in the 1.196 branch and it too was behaving properly. I shutdown the server, moved the client and DS back to the current branch and as soon as I loaded in, gun turrets were dead again. I think this definitely points to something in the DS 1.196 branch that is broken. I can't tell if it was something at the initial launch of 1.196 or one of the updates along the way to the current 1.196.016 since I cannot downgrade minor versions within steam.

Again, if I can help gather some data or provide other debug steps, I can.

Thanks,

photo

I am having the very same problem right now, i am running a dedicated server and i am finding the same problems you are.

On my dedicated server the only turrets that lock on to targets and fire are the interior turrets the Gatling turrets and missile turrets don't lock on or shoot at the enemy however if i take a copy of my world and put it on my local PC and load it up everything works and all the turrets fire at the enemy automatically.

The only work around i found is to set the toggle to "shoot on/off" on the Gatling turrets and missile turrets and activate them when i am in weapons range and they will shoot at the enemy but this can be a pain to doing this when they just should fire automatically.

it definitely seems to be an issue on the dedicated server side i am surprised they have not found this problem, i am the same i am running the provided Dedicated Server Manager... not Torch i am really hoping for a fix soon.

If anyone else is have this issue to post here or if your not sure those running Dedicated Servers should check to see if they have the same problem.

photo

Just wanted to add some more information, from i can see weapons on static grids are not affected they seem to function fine as i had a friend of mine set up a Gatling turret on a static grid and once i came into range it did shoot at me but the Gatling turrets and missile turrets on his ship did not shoot at me.

So it seems that all Gatling turrets and missile turrets on mobile grids do not function properly and don't shoot and lock on automatically in MP when running a world on a Dedicated Server but as mentioned before it does work when you load the world up on a local PC and play SP.

photo

Hello, Engineers!

Thank you for your reports. Could you please confirm that this issue also occurs without any mods? If yes, can you please provide us a save of your server where you are experiencing this issue?

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

I am having the very same problem right now, i am on a friend server and that i can tell it is some thing to do with idle moment if it is on or not because every time i find it off the turret has stop working