[0.7.1] Significantly longer loading time

József Szabó shared this bug 5 years ago
Investigating

I could load up my much more dense MP world in seconds in 0.6, while it takes ages to load up my freshly started 0.7 survival with only a tiny palisade fort.

Replies (4)

photo

i haven't even been able to load a world yet, the loading bar often just stops at 99% and loads for ages. its only worked once, and at that time it was relatively fast.

photo

Is it a 0.6 world? Those have to go through a lengthy conversion process the first time they are loaded.

It's also worth noting that voxels take a long time to load when you don't have a free thread for them to process on. Reducing terrain quality reduces this time significantly.

photo

This started getting worse and worse with the last few 0.6.xx builds. I think before 0.6.4 or 0.6.3 my world loaded relatively quickly. Then they changed something and it took forever. Currently in 0.7.1 the load time is ridiculously long. I moved my install to an SSD to see if that would fix things but it doesn't. The game must be compiling everything during load now or something without caching it. Something is very inefficient. In my case it has nothing to do with the game converting a previous world because I've started two brand new worlds in 0.7.1 and the load time is horrible. I should time it but it feels close to 10 minutes before it's playable.

photo

It is usually not really horrible for me, but definitely it takes longer than it used to. One time it just hung. I cancelled it and tried again and then it worked.

Also, now after fast travel, it seems to lag a bit as the hard drive is cranking hard to load stuff up. I know there was a major overhaul on how parts of the world are loaded. Maybe there's no way to ever make this as fast as it used to be because of that, but any improvement would be nice.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file