Power Cable and Outlet Blocks
(This idea seems to have been brought up before by other people but with little detail to go off of, so I hope to provide a more detailed explanation of how this would work.)
The purpose of the following is to simplify recharging stations and supply power to multiple unconnected grids as you may see in colonies.
Power Cable Reel (Large) - A block that has three plugs on one side. The maximum cable length for this block is 100m for each plug. Settings are provided for each individual plug.
Power Cable Reel (Small) - A block that has one plug. The maximum cable length for this block is 50m.
Power Outlet (Large) - A block that has three outlets on one side. Settings are provided for each individual outlet.
Power Outlet (Small) - A block that has one outlet on one side.
- Every individual plug and outlet has about the diameter of a small grid block, allowing, for example, a large grid plug to be plugged into a small grid outlet.
- Every plug is attached to a cable, and can be pulled out of power reel blocks either by hand or landing gear from a ship to be plugged into an outlet.
- Plugs have a magnetic pulling mechanic similar to connectors and will automatically attach when close enough to an outlet.
- Cables can be physically interacted with so if a grid forcibly collides with one it may disconnect from an outlet.
- Cables have a limited length and can be tightened/retracted or slacked/extended if necessary by the power reel block.
Controls (Power Reel Only)
Lock - Prevents the cable from being pulled out or retracted.
Slack - Allows the player to tighten or loosen the slack of the cable. Can also be used to reel in or extend the cable.
Magnet Strength - Adjusts the magnetic pull of plugs and outlets.
Controls (Both Power Reel and Outlet Blocks)
Receive/Transmit/Auto - Determines whether the attached grid will receive power or transmit power. If left on "auto" the attached grid will both supply and receive power if necessary.
Magnetism ON/OFF - Toggles the magnetic pull of the plugs and outlets. If left off the plugs and outlets will not connect.