Make Cryo useful again - Let me exit from body in one cryo and enter body in another cryo
The problem: Cryos are practically useless, but has so much potential.
- Offline: Currently it makes much more sense to dump all inventory in cargo and just die instead of seeking Cryos when logging off.
- Crew: Usually during the travel only the pilot has something interesting to do, and not always, but when landed then crew is very useful to help. So crew never goes along because that's boring. Furthermore, it's more than annoying to have all-or-nothing stakes while traveling somewhere because buggy or stupid deaths happen and then the ship is left out there alone. Especially problematic with small, but even not all large grids make sense to have the super-expensive medbay on them.
- Long-distance travel: The basic idea of Cryo for long-distance travel is broken - why should I sit in cryo instead of just sitting in cockpit, if I can't do anything else anyways during that time? Again, waiting is boring.
Suggestion: Make Cryo to store a engineer body, like currently, BUT allow me to exit that body and return to respawn screen. Furthermore, add such "loaded" cryos to respawn screen as valid respawn options (with no-share, faction-share and public share as with medbays). Also, keep cryos considerably cheaper than medbays, and add for small grid too. That would save two of problems above:
- Crew: I can take my crew with me, cryo-ed and ready to spawn-in whenever action will start, while in meantime they can continue to work on whatever they were doing. Furthermore, I can have a spare "loaded" cryo for myself just as backup plan in case of buggy or stupid death. From the other side, it now makes sense to have a empty cryo at basically any station/ship, because if my mates want to rally up at me they would like to leave the current body nearby, so afterwards they could easily resume whatever they were doing. No downtime, no waiting, and more people being present where the most action happens.
- Long-term travel: This build upon the point above - I can set the course, leave the ship at max speed on timer and rest myself at cryo to focus my time on other matters. Later when ship should have arrived at destination, I can wake up from cryo and continue piloting the ship.
To summarize, focusing around cryos as one-time, cheap and expendable respawn points, while leaving medbays very restricted (I'd suggest to make them "station only"), would bring less downtime and waiting, while keeping things in balance. Even more than that - it opens up new PvP strategic and tactical possibilities - like intercepting enemy "sleeper" ships, or creating "boarding" ships with plenty of cryos, and in any other way make both lives and deaths more meaningful and less all-or-whatever like.