Infinite Beacon range and possibility to set Beacon for Jump Drive target
Currently beacons feel pretty useless since you can get the same effect with an antenna, plus a working antenna of course.
By allowing infinite (or at least greatly increased) range on Beacons and Jump Drive targeting, we could have things like:
- Distress beacons
- Fake distress beacons for sneaky space pirates
- Advertising public refueling stations or other public areas (especially moving ones)
- Players could reveal their location to either scare people away or lure them in
- Make the world seem more populated as currently multiplayer can kinda be like singleplayer with chat
- Easier to find players
- Lots and lots of Beacon spam
Jump Drive restrictions would still apply of course.
Possible ways to solve Beacon spam:
- A way to toggle Beacons like we currently have with all markers
- More range = more power consumption (too much consumption might defeat the purpose of this, need to be careful)
- Simply having active server admins
- Beacon marker grouping like we have on all markers currently would make distant Beacons blend together anyway
I really feel like this could make MP feel more alive.