[In-game Scripting] Ore Scripting Api

LootWitch shared this feedback 4 years ago
Submitted

Excuse my bad English in advance.

My friends and I wanted to play some Space Engineers again and we are a bunch of computer scientists and script kids. They are passionate about automating processes and then watching. Back then 1-2 years ago we had stopped playing because we just missed a few things.

For example what simply like: Are there ores before me and how many. Even better where exactly. Then I go there and collect the whole thing and bring it back. Or I make myself a small map with the places, so that I know later where I must go to dismantle new.

And we would have expected that the IMyOreDetector has two methods to access different information. Best is event-based, without polling. But we don't find any documentation and I had to find out. That this has been a topic for years and there have been pull requests more often. But they never made it into the game. If I'm wrong, it's probably because of the moderate documentation.

Example References:

- github | Ore position dictionary for ingame programming

- old Feedback 142 Votes | Add missing API to Ore Detector

- old Feedback 12 Votes | Give Ore Detector information to scripters

I've been searching for the topic over time and I'm sure there were more pull requests and feature requests. However, I couldn't find them in the half hour I took to write this.

[tltr]

What we would like to have would be a minimal interface through which you get a list with points and information about which ores it is. For example

List<OrePoints> GetAllDetectedPoints()
or

List<OrePoints> DetectedPoints()

Where of course the names and classes used should be changed accordingly. Obviously this feature is already used in HUD and I'm surprised that this method hasn't been available in IMyOreDetector for years. Especially since the whole survival system is based on ore collecting.

I can understand if you want to get the actual game stable first and then take care of the less important things like scripting. However, we think it would be a relatively simple and short task to include this in the Api and it would have a big impact on the modding scene. Especially in survival mode.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file