[Feature Request] Infinite Planet Spawning

Sonny shared this feedback 4 years ago
Submitted

Summary: Procedural place/spawn the planets throughout the universe/world, like the asteroids.

When I first started playing SE, I was impress with the asteroids spawning for infinity as you fly through space. The mining, converting of materials to components, building ships. So I bought the game.

When Planets were announced, I downloaded the code copy of SE to checkout the planets myself and was impress to see the same thing for planets. I have this on video I recorded back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNSe9hgUInc

So I was expecting to see the same thing for updated versions as time went on but sadly this feature was removed. I understand that the planets them selves, the terrain, should be static to be easier to create the terrain details with heightmaps, but making the placement of the planets by the user only was a let down for me. Besides the provided worlds in the game.

I was really looking forward of flying out into the void of a infinite universe to find new planets, naming them, mining them. Setup star gates for fast transport, ect.... Simply colonize the universe.

Another reason on why I am looking forward to Kerbal Space Program 2.

Exploration was one thing I was looking forward to in SE. I know a lot of SE players would want to experience the same thing.

I know I can create my own world save with planets placed in the world, but what is the fun in that. I rather discover them out in the void where you have to build a ship with jump drives to reach them. Similar to asteroids and random encounters. Finding ruins and other stuff on planets be an extra bonus.

Replies (2)

photo

Well, I like the idea. But it would probably take a terrible amount of disc space. And we're kinda used to planets being visible from all corners of the SE-universe. And the existing planets are too large to explore all by one person. So it would be unclear how to implement that. I think having up to 10 planets with more moons would be sufficient. But, yes, that would be absolutely awesome.

photo

Did you see the attached video?

photo
photo

Potential disk space and performance issues aside - maybe they can be solved efficiently? - I love the suggestion. Problem is, none of the planets and moons that are currently present in the game are procedurally generated; they are handcrafted. What's the point of finding more and more planets, if it's just more of the exact same ones that already exist somewhere else? If this suggestion ever finds its way into the game (and I hope it does!), then the random celestial body generation should be implemented first - which is a whole giant undertaking in and on itself.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file