You Really Broke The Game Keen, Thanks

Vampire Of DeathMoon shared this feedback 4 years ago
Submitted

So since the major update after the decorative blocks DLC i have come to totally HATE Keen, i have so many problems with this game and have spent too long on their website and in steam discussions trying to fix this game, as i spend more than 3 quarters of my gaming time trying to get into the game.

So Keen could you please fix the game before even starting to work on SE 2 or give it to us for free cause this once beautiful game has turned into a half ***** piece of ****, i as an indie game dev don't enjoy having to fix a game (even rewriting files) that's not mine and that i put down money for especially considering its out of early access. recently its gotten unbareable and i'm giving up trying to solve this, if anyone would like to help or has suggestions that seem plausable i will try it, otherwise i won't waste my time as the game crashes sometimes crashes my steam and/or my graphics drivers along with it, sometimes my whole pc too. i don't want to try just anything as my graphics card recently died due to SE crashing everything too much and i don't have money for a 3rd one if this one dies too. I have already asked for support on the portal but in my experience they have never answered me or just been outright useless.

What Happens

now that that is out of the way, what happens/ what am i experiencing? well to be honest it will be totally random sometimes i can't even get into the main menu, sometimes i get into the main menu and instant crash, sometimes i get in the main menu and get a extreme memory leak that crashes me, sometimes the main menu is stable and i try loading in then i crash, sometimes i load in and got about 2min then i crash (this one is rare though), sometimes i load in and my game crashes and my screen res goes down to 640 with 95hz refresh rate and usually then crashes my whole pc. sometimes steam will say running but the game won't use more than 10mb ram and i won't even see the splash screen.

What I've Tried To Try And Fix The Problems

• deleting my .cfg file
  • deleting my shadercache folders
  • validating my game
  • set my ram cache/ vram back to defaults (mostly fixed the game not going past 10mb ram)
  • uninstalled and reinstalled
  • updated all drivers
  • disabled steam overlay
  • got an app to help manage the GC removal to combat memory leaks (does have a slight effect)
  • deleting my config file
  • made sure dotnet is up to date
  • tried various version of gpu drivers
  • rewrote game files (would help sometimes)
  • deleting %appdata% game folder
  • Closing Firefox before gaming as that caused crashes i believe
    there are more that i can't remember but i'll update this list as i go and remember

System Info

Computer Information:

Manufacturer: MSI

Model: MS-7846

Form Factor: Desktop

No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:

CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel

CPU Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz

CPU Family: 0x6

CPU Model: 0x3c

CPU Stepping: 0x3

CPU Type: 0x0

Speed: 3600 Mhz

4 logical processors

2 physical processors

HyperThreading: Supported

FCMOV: Supported

SSE2: Supported

SSE3: Supported

SSSE3: Supported

SSE4a: Unsupported

SSE41: Supported

SSE42: Supported

AES: Supported

AVX: Supported

CMPXCHG16B: Supported

LAHF/SAHF: Supported

PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:

Windows 10 (64 bit)

NTFS: Supported

Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:

Driver: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

DirectX Driver Name: aticfx32.dll

Driver Version: 26.20.11015.5009

DirectX Driver Version: 26.20.11015.5009

Driver Date: 5 22 2019

OpenGL Version: 4.6

Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel

Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz

DirectX Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

VendorID: 0x1002

DeviceID: 0x683d

Revision Not Detected

Number of Monitors: 1

Number of Logical Video Cards: 1

No SLI or Crossfire Detected

Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Primary Display Size: 45.35" x 25.51" (52.01" diag)

115.2cm x 64.8cm (132.1cm diag)

Primary Bus Type Not Detected

Primary VRAM: 1024 MB

Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:

Audio device: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti

Memory:

RAM: 12227 Mb

Miscellaneous:

UI Language: English

Media Type: Undetermined

Total Hard Disk Space Available: 1584602 Mb

Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 416320 Mb

OS Install Date: Jan 01 1970

Game Controller: None detected

VR Headset: None detected

Replies (3)

photo

Your log file suggests the game is running out of memory. You do seem to have an unusual ram configuration.

2 sticks of 6GB seems unusual so perhaps you have mismatched sticks of memory. That can cause issues.

The game is also fairly CPU intensive and you seems to have a pretty old CPU. I don't run into the issues you are describing.

photo

update likely changed/reset some gfx settings. this is/was a common thing with big updates in lots of games. recheck those in the menu and turn them down

photo

"my graphics card recently died due to SE crashing everything too much" - At the interface between the hardware and the application sits the driver. If anything you should be angry at the graphics card manufacturer for releasing a driver that allows the card to run into a dangerous state (temperature/currents). In any case I would run some tests on that system, like MemTest86.

"i as an indie game dev don't enjoy having to fix a game (even rewriting files)" - Rewriting the game data files is not fixing the game. Reverse engineering the code and patching it would be a fix.

"if anyone would like to help or has suggestions that seem plausable i will try it," - Run some hardware tests. For starters I would propose the bootable version of MemTest86.

"the game crashes sometimes crashes my steam and/or my graphics drivers along with it, sometimes my whole pc too" - While the executables communicate with each other, all programs running on a PC are separated by the operating system, and cannot directly access hardware without the help of a driver. That's why I would suspect corruption of RAM or sometimes simply running out of RAM, which many programs and drivers may not be prepared for. That said, whenever SE ran out of RAM, I experienced voxel terrain not updating or the game crashing, but the graphics driver (AMD) and operating system kept working even if it takes half an hour reading/writing to swap file on HDD.

"i don't want to try just anything as my graphics card recently died due to SE crashing everything too much and i don't have money for a 3rd one if this one dies too." - Don't worry, as explained above, the hardware should be well shielded by the driver. If it is not, blame the manufacturer for allowing it to run in the red zone until it dies. It is really unlikely that a program that's not specifically made to kill graphics cards by using a known weakness and is used by thousands of players world wide is the death cause of your graphics card. It is far more likely that a soldering point or component on the board aged faster than expected. Gamers Nexus talks a bit about service life of graphics cards at minute 7 in this video: https://youtu.be/hcxWDMbNXYA?t=420

Leave a Comment

Attach a file