Timer Block Should Use Multiple Action Setup Lists

Cole Dragoth shared this feedback 5 years ago
Submitted

Timer Blocks need to be able to allow multiple action setups. Currently multiple blocks must be used in order to do anything remotely synchronized. For example: I wanted my hanger doors to open and then to fire a rocket after 7 seconds; However, you cannot do so using just one timer block because both actions would fire immediately since the delay only effects how long till the actions are activated. (both being called at the same time). So in order for this to work I would need TWO BIG TIMER BLOCKS that only perform 1 simple function each?

Timer Block 1:

Delay: 1 second.

Action 1: Open Hangar Doors.

Action 2: Call Timer Block 2 Start()

Timer Block 2:

Delay: 8 seconds.

Action 1: Fire the Rocket Launcher.

I suggest Timer Block being able to store 3 or so Action Setup Lists.

For Example, if each Action Setup List could store a delay before firing AND each Timer Block could store at least say 3, then one Timer Block would be able to preform tasks using multiple lists in succession. This would enable more complex behaviors for those who cannot code their own scripts (most players cannot) and bring some more power to the player.

TLDR: Timer Blocks Should be able to store mutiple action setups and each setup has can input a delay.

Timer Block:

Action Setup 1 with 1 second Delay: Open Hangar Doors + Turn on Interior Lights. Then call next action setup (if there is one).

Action Setup 2 with 8 second Delay: Fire Rocket Launcher.

All with only using one block! (less blocks = better performance)

PS: I was flustered trying to figure out the best way to describe this so if it is hard to understand please feel free to ask questions to clarify!

Thank you devs for this amazing game!

Replies (6)

photo

Actually if we just had a way to specify a delay before each action on a single timer block that would make everything so much easier.

photo

I extremely expect that the devs consider this idea. I love that.

photo

Yes! Add a second "Set up actions" button to the timer for that! That would be great.

photo

This is really only a problem on large grids, the timer block takes up way more space, and costs more resources, but no added benefits, it would be nice if the large timer block was able to act like many small timer blocks do, right now I don't even bother with adding a large timer block to a grid, I always add a sub small grid, because I can fit 125 small timer blocks in the same space as 1 large timer block, and the large timer block costs 5 times the rss.

photo

125? Wrong buddy, you can only fit 27 1x1x1 small grid blocks inside the space of a 1x1x1 large grid block, the timer block is a 1x1x1 block in a large grid.

photo

I don't know what math class you're taking, but it takes 5 small blocks to equal the length of one large block, 5^3 equals 125.

photo

Large blocks are 2.5m and small blocks are .5m

photo

here is a comparison of a large timer block, vs 125 small timer blocks

photo

Care to make use of the function to edit your posts within an hour of posting to add all those trivia items? That'd be mighty cordial of you.

photo

Will do in the future

photo

I do the same, though I dislike the fact that the large grid in question now has extra wobble because of the sub grid.

The same for programming blocks, event controllers, antennas, beacons, etc.

photo
photo

Personally, I'd expect it to work like how you can cycle between 9 hot bars in the game with Ctrl + 1-9. You should be able to use each of these 'hot bars' as sequences and set a timed delay in which it executes these 9.

photo

Something like this can be easily used to do an airlock.

You trigger an airlock timer, timer closes all doors, waits 0.5s, triggers on pressurization, 2s later opens door A and pauses itself. You trigger it again, timer closes all doors, waits 0.5s, triggers depressurization and claxon, 2s later opens door B, shuts down claxon and resets itself to the start.

Also since it's much more of a problem on large grids, it can be used to fix some discrepancy between small and large grids. Ex: small ships could be limited to two actions, while large ships could have a dozen.

P.S. There is a newer topic:

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/42274-timer-blocks-delay-between-action-pagesdecimal-timer

Leave a Comment

Attach a file