A change to SORTER BLOCKS

Mark Willems shared this feedback 4 days ago
Not Enough Votes

I propose a change to the way sorter blocks function.

Currently they operate by allowing a whitelist or a blacklist of items flowing in one direction; and they have an empty whitelist for item flow in the opposite direction. By changing that empty whitelist too an empty blacklist, it will allow items to flow in the opposing direction.

This creates a problem that is easily solved. All sorter blocks would default to an empty whitelist. This insures that item flow in existing builds and blueprinted builds will not be affected by the change. Keen only needs to add a checkmark "Allow reverse flow" to the settings.

This change allows for the placement of sorter blocks of opposing directions inline in a conveyor line. Eliminating the need for branching of the conveyor line to have bi-directional sorting.

Replies (2)

photo

I have been made aware that some people would appreciate another change. That is to add a checkmark "Restrict hydrogen flow" and a checkmark "Restrict oxygen flow" to the sorter block. This would presumably be only for the direction of flow indicated by the arrows on the block.

photo

We are presented with a bi-directional conveyor system, unlike the conveyor systems that in reality only go one way; if you can identify an existing bi-directional conveyor system in the world today than reply to this. Should Keen reprogram the existing conveyor system to reflect current realities, I say no to that. Given that, it only makes sense that any technology connected to a bi-directional conveyor system would also operate bi-directionally. At a minimum the technology wouldn't impede the flow of items through the conveyor system outside of its design parameters. In other words, a directional sorter wouldn't stop the flow of items in the opposing direction. If my logic is flawed please point it out by replying to this comment.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file