New Restrictor Block

Mark Willems shared this feedback 12 days ago
Not Enough Votes

I propose a new block that would perform similarly to a sorter. This would be a restrictor block. It would allow for a whitelist that would allow you to determine what can pass through it bi-directionally, or a blacklist that would restrict the flow of items bi-directionally. Either way it would restrict the flow of items from both directions.

An example:

I have a setup with multiple refiners with input sorting. On the output side I only placed one sorter to drain the ingots. I now have to do some grinding to replace conveyers with 2 sorters between the refiners. With a restrictor block restricting ore flow I would only have to replace one conveyer block between each of the refiners. As it stands now ore flows freely between refiners on the output side of the conveyer system.

I'm sure other uses exist for restrictor blocks.

Replies (5)

photo

had a similar thought, check valve comes to mind. doesnt need any control menu settings

photo

As an alternative, could we revise the sort block by allowing sorting and draining for throughput and sorting and draining for backflow. This would achieve the same result with increased configuration complexity and would reduce the complexity of the conveyor system attaching to it.

Either way, 1 block replacing 2 blocks previously and reducing the craziness of the conveyor system surrounding it!

photo

My preferred solution to the problem would involve a simple change to the mechanics of the sorter block.

This would involve sorter blocks only influencing the flow of materials in one direction, and allowing unrestricted flow of materials in the other direction. By doing this you allow for multiple sorters inline with each other in a conveyor system that each control flow of materials in opposing directions.

This would eliminate the current need for bifurcations of the conveyor line to accomplish this.

photo

yes and while i'm sure this is "as intended" its somewhat unintuitive given the giant arrow on the side but current sorters still allow gasses to pass in both directions

if a new block was added as suggested hopefully it could manage items and gasses, maybe even power as well

photo

My final solution has been reposted as "A change to SORTER BLOCKS" and I would appreciate it if those of you following this post would review it and upvote it.

It doesn't suggest gaseous control atm but I have an archived post that suggested allowing connectors to control the flow of gases and power. Its titled "flow control of hydrogen/oxygen/power" and was posted some 5 months ago.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file