Breaking Windows - Where is the future of gaming on windows - linux maybe?

Deon Beauchamp shared this feedback 2 months ago
Not Enough Votes

I have just moved another two PCs over to linux.

I have a gaming PC on windows10.

When I upgrade this hardware, I intend to move my gaming over to a linux machine.

In my opinion I see no gaming future on windows that will run in an acceptable environment.

The GPU people appear to think that linux is a goto.

Running SE under wine does not seem to be a perfect solution.

If SE2 is ever a thing could it run native on a linux platform please.

Replies (3)

photo

To add : I just heard that a gameplay benchmark found that gaming on linux was up to 10% 'faster' than windows11.

photo

To be more specific: A native Linux version would be nice for any future Keen games. But at a minimum those should run well under Linux/Proton (Proton is Valve's version of the WINE compatibility layer.)

Maybe the latter is even possible to achieve under SE today: Locally, SE runs reasonably well for me under Proton 9.02, only online play is still pretty crash prone. Pretty please, could you try and find the remaining obstacles and fix them?

photo

Isn't SE written in C# for .NET? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was. If so, Linux has it's own .NET framework written in native code, so SE should run quite well in Linux*. I've not tried it myself, but like the OP, I'll be switching back to Linux as soon as SE stops working in Windows 10.

* You probably still need to run Wine, but I think most of the game code will use Linux's native .NET code. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file