Elevator/Rail blocks suggestion

Kirill Shalamov shared this feedback 2 months ago
Not Enough Votes

Hello to Keen team and fellow Klang worshipers!

I know, I know, there are already requests on this... However, some of them suggests something like a very long piston, some of them floor-blocks with doors, etc.

I suggest something more universal, and not very complex... in my opinion. It's a set of blocks: start(floor) block, elevator head(small/large grid), filler blocks, and the end(top level) block, as in this mockup picture.

078aa6422bf845fe62997a0b2c4120eb

How it might work:

1. You place a start block. It will spawn an elevator head, just like rotors do for example, with the difference that it would not rotate

2. Place as much filler blocks as you want

3. Place the end block. This will make the whole elevator functional, and as long as start and end blocks are connected, the elevator head will be able to travel between them.

This should allow players to build a variety of different elevators/trams, since you can buld whatever you want around it. This should just provide a movement anywhere along the line.

Why bother when we have other solutions:

Yeah, people might say "just place a 1000 pistons" or "just use wheel elevators". But pistons became unpractical(and janky) very fast the more distance you want to move, and wheeled versions became unpractical in moving grids(while also janky). Let's say I want a monorail in a 200m long ship... if go with pistons, it will be just a ship full of wobbly pistons... Wheels(thrusters)? Even if it moves properly, what about speed limit?

So, a specialized tool-set of suggested blocks should improve gaming experience. What do you think?

Replies (3)

photo

This would be very useful. In many situations. It would basically substitute pistons in situations where you need many of them. Think about deep crust mining rigs. I have 2 deep mining rig designs.

The first one below welds additional conveyer tube on top and descend the drills 1 block down.

955006a512b450baddd26794a8c5afde

The second one has a rail with 1 piston, 2 magnetic plates and a bunch of events/timers to safly descend the whole drilling rig down. Yet it still can fail sometime, because of eventual klang events, due its complexity. And the size of the thing is pretty much an overkill for some small things like elevators or lanfing gear deployment mechanisms.

4ccf42eda64324eda39bf90b1f8afc49

It can be completeley replaced with a simple rail block you have proposed and make it actually stable and viable method to make these kind of projects even in multiplayer.

I think rail block should be all the same, no distinction between start, end, and middle blocks. So you can spown rail head whereever you want. From the game mechanics perspective, rail head would travel from 1 block to another and changing the "parent", in other words, detach and attach from one rail to another. You wil have all the events detectable with event controler: part attached,/detached and the position from -1 to +1m plus maybe middle point reached event (for elevators to stop on desired floor). It can have conveyer port on the back. So in order to transfer staff you will always need a conveyer mounted to the side to make it go through the connected part.

Some other possible builds:

- Sliding hangar doors (up to very large ones)

- Retractable landing gears, turrets, thrusters, solars, anything that goes farther than 1 piston length, but even if less, you will hopefully have major stability becasue the mointing point is always placed on the rigid structure of the rail.

- Space elevator

Now to make it even more intersting, we might add corner rail blocks that would turn in 90 degrees.

I would make it 25PCU to match 1 piston.

photo

I think it should have at least the start block, which will have a terminal panel. We don't even need to make it the "start" block, just the root block for movement calculations. The end blocks are kinda redundant, since we can always check which one is the last on the rail from the root block.

We can also have curved rails and probably some kind of a railroad set, but this sounds like a dedicated update(would be mega cool though). I will be happy to just be able to move in straight line without huge piston contraptions.

photo

I know that this may sound simplistic, if a block functioned as a magnetic moving walkway it could be used to push along and hold a block, an engineer or any other item until the object is pushed passed its boundaries.

Direction and velocity could be set.

A stop hold option may be needed.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file