This object is in archive! 

QOL Improvement for Grid Naming (Super Easy to implement)

GwaiLOL shared this feedback 3 months ago
Not Enough Votes

INTRODUCTION

Everyone knows a friend who accidentally deletes their grids in the info tab, right?

The number one cause is poor grid name management, but I genuinely believe this is a pain everyone wants Keen to fix but can't be bothered to ask. It is as frustrating as naming all the newly hatched Chicks in a chicken farm.

So, what if there is an effective way to minimise or Automate this process?

• I have a proposal to fix the issue; if you don't touch the newly proposed settings, the game will work like before, which is the best in both worlds.
  • This proposal will also be great for people who create or print from blueprints.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PROBLEM EXAMPLES

First of all, let me point out the frustrations space engineers face daily in the context of grid naming:

• Wheels - You can't rename them.
  • Hinge/Rotor/piston heads - You can rename them by building a control panel.
    However, if you have already built blocks and the grid has no space for control access/build, you need to grind blocks down and build a control panel—why is this even part of the gameplay?
  • Merge Blocks—The constant self-inflicting pain of renaming grids comes from the Merge/Unmerge Event. If I send out a batch of freshly printed drones to battle and decide to free up some PCU, I need to guess which "small grid 2343" I should delete, as if I can remember all of them.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

PROPOSAL

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wheel/Hinge/Rotor/piston

1. In the control menu of the Block, under the "Add button" (Rotor head/wheel/piston head). Introduce a new Text Field for grid naming.
  2. The new grid will be named according to the Text Field when you click the "Add button"
  3. If the Text field is empty, the game will name it the old way. (example: small grid 2343)

Merge Block

In the control menu of the Merge Block, Introduce two new options.

A tick box named "Use as Primary Grid name" and a Text Field for auto-naming the grid after the merge/unmerge event.

1. When the Merge blocks Merge, the game will rename the grid according to the Text Field of the Merge Block with the tick box selected.
    The naming logic:
    a) If two or more than two Merge blocks have the tick box selected, the game will select the grid name of the highest PCU grid after Merge.
    b) If the tick box for All Merge blocks is unchecked, the game will select the grid name of the highest PCU grid after Merge.
    c) If the Text field is empty, the game will name it the old way. (example: Large grid 2343)
  2. When the Merge blocks Unmerge, the game will rename the grid according to the Text Field of the Merge Block.
    The naming logic:

a) If the Unmerged grid has only one Merge Block, the game will rename that grid according to the Text field on that Merge Block (regardless of whether the tick box is selected).
    b) If the Unmerged grid has more than one Merge block.
    The game will prioritise grid renaming based on the Merge Block Text field with the tick box selected.
    c) If the Unmerged grid has more than one Merge block & more than one tick box selected.
    The game will rename the grid based on the Merge Block Text field with the tick box selected but randomly pick a Text Field.
    d) If the Text field is empty, the game will name it the old way. (example: Large grid 2343)
  3. When you hover the cursor over the Tick box, the text bubble will show "Use the name of this grid as the primary name when Merged/UnMerged with other grids."
  4. When you hover the cursor over the Text field, the text bubble will show "The name of this grid after Merged/UnMerged with other grids."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

THE BENEFITS

1. Blueprints can have grid names adequately saved when you print them in Survival game mode.

2. Fewer problems for players and admins when managing grids in the info screen.

Replies (3)

photo

The grid name based on Merge block setting is a great idea.

Also, in the absence of a Merge block, if a grid breaks, the new grid name could be based on the main grid name.

For example a grid breaking off "Miner" could be renamed "Miner_1"

This would aid players in cleaning up any mess without fear of deleting the wrong grid by mistake.

photo

yes ,I wish it can be looked into

photo

When unmerged the other grid can take a name from the merge block name at least.

Whells can at least be named not "Large/Small Grid 1234" but <Original grid name>_wheel_123.

Same for rotor/piston/hinge parts. Or even better. When parts are added making a subgrid, it should trace (if can) the origin grid and adding a progressive number to it.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file