This object is in archive! 

Action Relay issues

Starwm042 shared this feedback 5 months ago
Not Enough Votes

The action relay can currently be brute-force activated in around 2 seconds as shown in the video below, it only requires the attacking player to set a relay, a timer and an antenna to the faction they want to trigger.

In the video the recieving relay is set to channel 100 and the "attacking" relay starts at channel 1 and cycles through. It works at all other channels as it activates at every single one.

Removing the increase and decrease channel actions would be a good first step towards making the system more robust against griefing or hacking like this.

It's setup like so: relay set to channel 1, timer is set to "trigger now" by button and in the timer it is also set to "trigger now" itself, increment the channel and send signal.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/903921816471490590/1239680612546248734/Space_Engineers_2024.05.13_-_21.46.27.02.mp4?ex=6643ce0a&is=66427c8a&hm=85b1aa3c28a7ad227e576ddffa6dc3b8b6d672ef6a353ba1d9a9e2717ec90cd7&

Replies (4)

photo

The only way I can see working around this issue with the current design of the Action Relay is to analog encrypt the system via timers, event controllers and toggled on/off blocks that will only fully initiate the sequence if the correct relays are activated in the correct time. But that would require a lot of PCU to realize, per grid interacting with the desired object.

photo

> Removing the increase and decrease channel actions would be a good first step towards making the system more robust against griefing or hacking like this.

Adding range limit might be a better option. User can set it to infinite, but transferring will drop range.

Also someone triggering a channel from 200km away won't matter if your doors only listen at 100m and your drones at 1km.

photo

Just let us finally be able to be friendly to players so we can actually have diverse choices in who can access what.

photo

i dont see the problem there: if u let it to be interacted with everybody, u are leaving it open for a cracking attack. it is inherent to wireless signals.

photo

How would one share signals with players you are at peace with, without letting a person who is red to you access it?

It's not currently possible unless you pick "everybody". It's easy to make a cycling grid that goes through all the signals in a heart beat. So it makes the "everybody" feature a terrible option since it's easily exploited. I don't think that was the design in mind.

photo

And if there will be a 'neutrals' option, potential attacker will just transfer that 'scrambler' grid to make it neutral. Unless devs reworks relations, ownership and 'IFF' completely, there will always be an attack vector.

photo

actually this test was done with the attacked grid set to only faction, that's my point, it's easy to just set a relay, timer and antenna to enemy and go through which bypasses the faction only setting

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file