Action Relay: Use Text for Channels instead of Numbers

YoshiWoof22 shared this feedback 3 months ago
Under Consideration

With the new Action Relay block now released, the possibilities of interactions between grids without use of scripts has opened up massively, which is a great feature.

It is thus very surprising to see that the amount of channels available for Action Relays is handicapped to only the numbers 1-100.

This is a severely limiting factor for anyone wanting to do complex systems, especially when considering the issues identified below:

• It is difficult to keep track of channel usage between players/grids/factions without external means or standardisation (which is made even more difficult when you only have 100 channels to work with).
  • People will inevitably run out of channels at some point, especially in large factions. This will result in a need for overlapping channels, which can cause all kinds of problems.
  • With this low channel count, ships from different players will inherently conflict with each-other when used by the same owning faction/person. This is especially prevalent in Creative Mode. (Example: Someone may use Channel 1 for opening a station hangar door, whilst someone else uses it to detonate warheads).
  • New players will have a tendency to leave the default settings and channel selected, which could also lead to the problems described above.
  • Channels can be hijacked by a rogue player or faction member using a grid with many relay blocks to rapidly trigger all relays nearby and "jam" the action relay system. This would especially cause problems on grids designed to be "public".

A good solution for this problem would be to let players use text/string input, instead of only just the numbers 1-100, for use as Action Relay channels.

It should also be noted that this is technically already the case for the Inter-Grid-Communication (IGC) API accessible to Programmable Block scripts, so the choice of using just the numbers 1-100 for the Action Relays strikes me (and many other community members) as odd.

In any case, the advantages of using a text string as the Channel ID are very evident:

• Capacity: Text strings allow for a larger number of unique channels to be available (just with a-z, A-Z and 0-9, the amount of channels is increased substantially).
  • Ease of use: Text strings can be more intuitive to understand at a glance, especially in the context of Action Relays (a Channel named "Hangar" is easier to share, understand and remember than just the number "73").
  • Identification: Players can prefix their channels with a unique tag to prevent potential conflicts, but could then also agree to "universal" identifiers for actions that should take place on any applicable grid.
  • Security: Its more difficult to "brute-force" and guess a text string than it is to guess the numbers 1-100.
  • Troubleshooting: Its easier to troubleshoot problems with relay systems if you can just use text channels, and don't need to overlap channels.

I am aware that the problems mentioned earlier could be solved using the aforementioned IGC API within a Programmable Block Script. However, having this kind of flexibility as part of a script-less feature would be a huge step forward in allowing players to further unleash and expand their need to create.

In any case, I hope this feedback can be taken into consideration and perhaps implemented, as I'm sure many players would agree with the points made above.

Replies (8)

photo

I second the motion!

photo

I third the motion 👩‍⚖

photo

only 100 options is absolutely appalling. Your gonna hit the limit very quickly and accidentally overlapping with other peoples signals is gonna happen ALOT

photo

When the original teasers for this update came out showing the channel slider, with only a few numbered channels I was afraid the problems that were brought up in this post would happen. Would absolutely like to see a change to something like a text based channel system over the current system

photo

I fourth the motion!

photo

I fifth this motion!!

photo

Agree.

> It is difficult to keep track of channel usage between players/grids/factions

I feel like those should split to completely negate overlap. Like sending an 'action' on faction channel only or on 'me' channel only.

> Security: Its more difficult to "brute-force" and guess a text string than it is to guess the numbers 1-100.

I don't think that's an issue, these blocks, unless they listen on 'everyone' appear to be secure.

photo

> I don't think that's an issue, these blocks, unless they listen on 'everyone' appear to be secure.

Sadly, Faction Channels aren't secure either, as you can just transfer grid ownership.

Example "Jammer" grid setup:

• Battery
  • Antenna set to max range (50km)
  • Action Relay
  • Timer Block

Set the timer to "Action Relay -> Send Signal", "Action Relay -> Increase Channel" and "Timer Block -> Trigger Now".

Then, start the Timer with a 10 second countdown and transfer ownership of the grid to whatever faction you want to "jam". Once the countdown ends, it will cycle through all 100 channels in just under 2 seconds, triggering every relay in a 50km radius belonging to the targeted faction.

A more advanced version of this can theoretically cycle up and down the channel spectrum until the power runs out or the grid is destroyed.

photo

That's an exploit and worth a bug report.

photo

Perhaps

photo
photo

In the meantime, I recommend you check this out. It lets you easily go beyond 100 channels with minimal cost, no scripts, and no delay (and better organization). Stay creative!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3247808621

Leave a Comment

Attach a file