This object is in archive! 

2km SyncDistance for consoles.

Ivan Battles shared this feedback 6 months ago
Not Enough Votes

This option no longer being variable for EOS connections has resulted in a huge performance hit on our modded servers. Network load nearly tripled and our sim speed took a hit as well. As the network administrator for one of the largest modding communities, I have come to say that you've effectively ruined any chance we had of maintaining a functional crossplay server.

1) Modded weapons are no longer able to be manually controlled as their effective ranges exceed 2km.

2) Grid top speed increases are now detrimental to combat effectiveness instead of beneficial as grids stream to the client too late leaving no room for course correction resulting in collisions that tank server sim speed.

3) Your approach to supporting PS4 compatibility is tantamount to collective punishment for all other console owners.

4) Server communities that build larger vessels (~1km in length) are now FORCED to run PC only servers as ships of this size have the potential to collide without ever being rendered.

5) The same holds true for factions that build large base structures on the same scale.

6) Modded fixed weapons are now completely useless.

7) YOU COULD HAVE JUST SET THE OFFICIAL SERVERS' DEFAULTS TO 2KM AND LEFT THINGS AS THEY WERE IN THE CODING, BUT INSTEAD YOU'VE DECIDED TO FORCE YOUR OPINIONS ON PERFORMANCE UPON THE ENTIRE MODDING COMMUNITY.

PLEASE explain to me why we all have to suffer for people playing on a 10 year old console...

Replies (13)

photo

I play on said server and pre patch not a problem with gameplay. Post patch chunky, clunky gameplay and I play on PC

photo

i also play on said server, can confirm, Post patch gameplay is UNBEARABLE its simply dreadful. and for the record im a PC player, funny how the "fix" made for "performance reasons" makes performance worse, looks more like a direct attack on private servers to me.

photo

I've roamed the halls of the cross play servers since this patch. Keen, you dropped the ball here and showed us all you don't play yer own game enough. This "fix" has caused more problems than it has repaired. Please, Please, Please, play this game the way the rest of us do so you can make changes that HELP yer community, not hurt it or outcast massive portions of it.

photo

Bro I can confirm this. The sync sucks now. Our console players can’t even JOIN A SERVER. KEEN FIX THIS!!!!

photo

ship combat will negatively affect server performance, as the 2 (or more) opposing ships will constantly be going in and out of sync distance, this means they will be frequently unloaded by the client and then re-streamed by the server, wasting a lot of CPU cycles and network bandwidth.

this scenario can be even worse if the system decides to dynamically adjust the sync distance to even lower, ship combat will be not be possible., though i am not personally aware of any large fleet battles happening to the point that the sync distance gets adjusted low enough to make combat not possible.

i understand keen had to address the 'out of memory' crashes, of consoles, but with the sync distance as it is now, multiplayer combat is just pointless for console users. Ideally this dynamic sync distance high cap should be higher than 2.5km which is max vanilla targeting range, 3km would be preferable for some maneuvering room, which is current steam server 'safe mode' sync distance.

photo

forgot to be clear, this also puts more strain on the console, as it means the console has to load and unload the grids very often in combat, and with a 500m lower cap on the variable sync distance, and the time taken to sync in, a grid could be right on you before you see it, and with this happening it is going to be a stuttery mess. Its bad enough during combat on a Keen steam server with sync distance at 3km and about 4-5 combatants.

Sync distances are not exact, there some variance, what causes this im not sure, maybe a 'buffer zone', or the time it takes to get the grid data, who knows, ive seen on keen servers, grids unload at 3.5-4km away while im traveling at 100m/s, and load in at 2-2.5km when traveling towards it at the same speed.

photo
photo

this "fix" has blatantly made the very problem Keen was trying to fix objectively worse, I participated in a battle recently and as i was flying i was having ships render in less then 100m off my hull and was experiencing terrible lag the entire time.

and mind you the server I play on HAS previously handled fights bigger then this before this "fix" was dropped, everything was all ruined by this attempt to pander to a decade old console whose successor has already successful replaced it.

Keen, just because a platform exist means you HAVE to accommodate it, both the PS4 and the Xbox one just aren't suited to handle SE properly and its time to accept it. its no different then from Microsoft not porting halo infinite to XBox 360 despite its servers still being operational at infinites launch, the hardware just not good enough

photo

The new sync and view distance cap has made stability issues considerably worse and the now constant rendering and unrendering is making the game near unplayable. Stability was much much better before this addition and this new feature needs removing.

photo

This update has single handedly broken your biggest part of your game, modded servers no one is going want play on consoles or EOS servers with what was said above standing let's hope you fix this quickly before it becomes the death of the game.

photo

ya as we keep dropping money to fix it this is becoming insane keen leave it up to us as we pay extra for just the server it self to play on too much cash is being spent on a broken game I love the game but please get you stuff inline and test on all systems before you keep push updates to brake things

photo
photo

Admin of another modded crossplay server here: We've had to make the server temporarily PC only until this is fixed, alienating over half our community who played on console. We don't have a single PS4 player and don't need this change in the slightest. It's only detrimental. This was completely avoidable.

To be clear, we couldn't handle a 1v1 engagement on this patch, while we had had as many as 20 players engaged in a battle prior to this. That's how much of a performance drop this is.

photo

I play in this server and this new patch has walked all over the blood, sweat and tears that have been poured into the server for multiple years. settings like this should be left up to the owner and admins, as Keen can't possibly know the intricacies of every single EOS Server. It's pretty unwise to force blanket changes on a community without.. y'know.. TALKING to them about it first. Really disappointed in you guys, Keen.

photo

For the freedom of all

photo

I play on a server known for big space battles. first battle after the patch was an utter hell hole, with ships rendering in left and right causing the sever to crash 3 separate times.

photo

I mind you play on an xbox 1 and had no issues before this

photo
photo

Bring the popcorn, this is glorious.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file