This object is in archive! 

You need a better flight model

Michael Eber shared this feedback 7 months ago
Not Enough Votes

First I will say that I worked with the Department of Defense in the United States. I worked with the Army in software and testing of a portable jetpack for rapid deployment to new hot spots in a battle. I also worked on software that flew and controlled a top secret jet for the Airforce.

Now your jetpack and also in your ships the flight model has one MAJOR flaw. Here are the repro steps:

1 - Fly into the air a distance. Straight up. 2 - Now move the mouse left then right then left then right. Then return the mouse to center. 3 - Observe the orientation of yourself to the planet.

What you will see is that you are tilted and need to straighten yourself out. Now here is why this is wrong:

Even in a weightless environment the function of panning left and right is to observe the area around you. Either on you jetpack or in your ship. So when I move left or right it drives me insane to end up with some roll applied. Maybe it is the horked up gyros whose real function is to keep you level. Maybe it is something else. But this needs to be changed, improved, for a much better flight model experience.

When we tested the jetpack it took a lot of software tweaks to get it right but in the end the soldier went up, he went down, he rotated without any roll. And he moved in the direction he needed to move. In all directions any reverse thrust (reverse thrust or thrust in the opposite direction of rotation. Now we had one small advantage in our propelling that you did not program into the jets: I was able to move them a slight amount so that when rotating the nozzle pointed slightly to the back. The reverse thruster would rotate the opposite way. But you can simulate that with the current setup quite easily I think.

Replies (4)

photo

have you tried testing rotation with arrow keys for perfect yaw rotations?

as any up/down movement when doing yaw rotation will turn into roll inaccuracy as you rotate more

im sure you know why having subtle pitch movement will end up with roll inaccuracy

photo

Sorry for the long time, we went to the coast for vacation.

We were well aware of how the slightest amount of change will affect the roll. But we also realized that to the soldier his response to an event to his left is to throw the joystick in that direction. It was life and death to make sure he experienced what he expected. As a result we did not let RAW data feed what happens. Instead we created a path width of values between, say, 15 to -15 so that when he wanted to move to the left he MOVED TO THE LEFT and still vertical. (you do not want to see the video of our first flight of the software though now it is quite funny) As typical with Space Engineers, there is very little documented so I had never discovered you could use the arrow keys. However that DOES require taking my hand off the mouse and over to the keyboard, taking my eyes off the monitor to ensure I'm on the right keys, then later moving my hand back. And when I move my hand back. However allowing that band of movement then the user can stay on the mouse, move left and right, and still be vertical.

photo

i dont like the idea of snapping to an imaginary vertical axis when rotating around

since what matters the most is the direction, not roll, player dont experience virtual discomfort from misaligned gravity (you do? you will hate space im afraid)

having some roll in this game is not even a real issue as one can easily compensate it with q/e or dont even care about it, since "vertically aligned" doesnt even make sense in space

also please do not leak classified documents for your own safety :)

photo
photo

It's worth noting that, because planets in SE are very small, gravity alignment very quickly contrasts with the alignment of a constructed grid that is completely orthogonal. You can easily see the effect of curvature in only a dozen meters on some planets. Traveling around with a jetpack that is gravity-aligned will keep you aligned with the planet, but not necessarily with grids or even perfectly straight tunnels.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file