Increased Speed When There is No Collision Impending

Thales shared this feedback 5 years ago
Submitted

Speed limit is 100m/s because of collision mechanic calculations in Space Engineers. This means that if you have no voxel, grid, atmosphere or gravity to hit, you should be able to move a lot faster than 100m/s.

I suggest; if a ship moves in space with at least 3km away from any voxel, grid (except subgrids), atmoshpere or natural gravity, it should be able to increase its speed up to 1000m/s.

If a ship that moves faster than 100m/s becomes close proximity to any voxel, grid, atmosphere or natural gravity, its speed will reduce to 100m/s in 1 seconds.

Replies (6)

photo

Sounds good, but you can't always predict that. Maybe there is a ship coming out of warp and then...

Upvoted anyways. It should be at least 200m/s but just for ships

photo

How do you suggest we slow the grid(s) without magic? Also, how often are you actually more than 3km from the nearest voxel?

I propose that both grids automatically thrust to brig relative speeds below 200m/s ie 'emergency collision avoidance'

This would be very performance unfriendly imo.

photo

@Tim Hagen,

Yes, the grid will "magically" reduce its speed to 100m/s in 1 second.

How often? I guess it depends on procedural asteroid density.

photo

900 m/s² deceleration in forward direction is quite unhealthy for the space engineer body. It also is exploitable, when you don't have enough backwards thrust to avoid a collision with an asteroid at 1000 m/s². And it would be frustrating if it took you ages to accelerate and then you come within 2.9 km of a voxel to your left and 90% of your speed is gone.

photo

If you crash into terrain at max speed the bugginess should be on you. Why let a occasional situation dictate how much of unrelated gameplay occurs? Give us the option to set the speed.

photo

would grid specific sim speeds be possible? that could allow for high speed and good impact simulation

Leave a Comment

Attach a file