This object is in archive! 

Character jump control: air acceleration

Ian Bunch shared this feedback 14 months ago
Not Enough Votes

Recently in survival, I have been constructing small grid ships and rovers without using my jetpack all the time. One thing I notice is that despite my character being able to jump the height of a single small grid block, they are difficult to jump onto: With the current jump controls in SE, if I am standing up against the block when I jump while pressing into it, I have no momentum for getting my foot on its edge. If I back up and try jumping while moving, I may jump late, then stub my toe and bounce backwards like a rubber man (and possibly fall down completely off of what I was building). Sure, I could just put down a sloped block, walk over it, and grind it back down later... but there is another way: air acceleration.

Air acceleration is a feature which commonly found in platformers that allows player characters to gain momentum after a jump. This allows players to jump onto things that are right in front of them without requiring initial momentum in that direction. If it were implemented in SE, it would probably have to be limited—for example, enabling 15% air acceleration within 0.5 seconds after jumping within gravity. The effect could be subtle, but still help players avoid jetpack dependency when they want to.

For reference, the concept of air acceleration is explained a bit more in-depth here (see the 'Jumping' section): https://gmtk.itch.io/platformer-toolkit. Feel free to play around with it. Air braking and air control probably won't be necessary though.

Replies (1)

photo

not worth it imho, just use yo god given goddamn jetpack

Leave a Comment

Attach a file