This object is in archive! 

AI Flight speed is inconsistent and often far below setting (Bug)

Kham shared this feedback 12 months ago
Not Enough Votes

I have a cargo drone running a 32Km (each way) run to a mining outpost.

It launches using a recorder task path to exit each base, then switches to a basic task block using GPS points for the long part of the journey, before switching back to another recorder task for docking.

I understand that when following recorder paths the speed is limited, regardless of what speed you set in the flight controller however about 50% of the time even on the long part of the journey using the basic task block it's not going faster than 25-30m/s even though the flight block is set to 100m/s. This is causing a major problem in that at those speeds it can't actually make the journey in time before it's batteries are depleted. When it actually goes at 80-90m/s like it's set to it can make the journey on less than half it's battery.

Why is it ignoring the speed setting?

Edit: This was supposed to be posted as a bug.

Replies (1)

photo

In my experience the AI doesn't use thrusters efficiently so excessive fuel/power stores are a must. The other issue with cargo drones/ships under AI control is that fuel/battery efficiency goes down as you increase the stored mass, which amplifies the issue. I think the AI also has a built in speed limit decided by the thrust:mass ratio in order to keep an adequate stopping time for collision avoidance.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file