This object is in archive! 

Event Controller should be able to react to angle equals x (without greater or smaller than)

Toralf Schneider shared this feedback 18 months ago
Not Enough Votes

I have an automated solar panel on one of my ships.

I would like to be able to reset it to 180° for landing the ship.

To do that, I would need to deactivate the corresponding turret controller and start rotating the solar panel. Then I would deactivate the rotor, once it is at 180°. Since the rotor could be above or below 180° before I start this process, I don't know which way of rotation is the shortest. No worry I thought, I just pick one direction and wait until it is at 180°, maybe it won't be optimal, but it will work.

Nope, I can't do that with the event controller, since it reacts to angle >= or <=, not ==.

Without a custom script, I can't solve this task

Replies (2)

photo

Note, under the hood it will practically never satisfy the == 180° condition. In practice, it'll be some 179.899999999996 or something, At best, it could satisfy being == 180° (as in, 180.00000000…0°) only after some rounding. And that custom script you mentioned would have to do this rounding, too.

Not slamming your request, not at all. People have been wanting the setting of explicit numerical values for toolbar actions for ages. Just saying that even a custom script would have to account for how physics is simulated and how it isn't automatically a panacea for all its ailments.

photo

should be able to react to many other things as well as detect when it's false. For some reason there isn't even an event for an AI block locking a target.

photo

Which is why I have always been arguing in favour of putting the event observations in the blocks whose states and state changes are being observed themselves.

Control blocks can already trigger actions on being target-locked and unlocked. Timers, in a sense, trigger actions based on some internal countdown reaching zero, sensors trigger actions based on some presence detection, buttons trigger actions based on player interaction … Conceptually, "something happens, upon which some action is triggered" is the same for all of those blocks. From a gameplay perspective, the difference between those blocks is a purely cosmetic one.

Sure, there'll likely be technical reasons why it isn't quite so simple. To which I say: No, it's not because it is. It's because you (figuratively you, that is) made it so, or allowed for it to be made so, or failed to prevent it from being made so. 100 % of a software product is artificial. There is no higher force, no Act of God, no inescapable fundamental natural law that ordained that a command block can have an action trigger exposed to the user while a hydrogen tank cannot.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file