This object is in archive! 

Suggestion: Conveyor Access Port

Christoph Lipka shared this feedback 12 months ago
Not Enough Votes

I frequently find myself working on remote parts of my base, far from the primary storage and processing blocks, and wishing I could avoid the long hikes back and forth just to retrieve or drop off components or submit Build Queue orders. Where there's some conveyor pipeworks nearby, I'm currently solving this by adding Small Cargo Containers in strategic locations to serve as access ports to the conveyor system and thus the main storage and processing blocks. However, this has multiple drawbacks:

- It tends to looks somewhat ugly.

- It clutters the inventory listing with locations where stuff will eventually be auto-deposited, either by other blocks pushing their products or me using Alt-MMB to drop off ore or disassembled components.

- I don't actually need the inventory functionality.

I therefore propose the implementation of either:

(A) a new dedicated block that allows full access to the conveyor system (e.g. I or F both accessing the inventory, MMB retrieving build-queued components or adding blocks to the queue, Alt-MMB dropping off stuff, etc.), but specifically *not* provide storage space of its own; or

(B) a new option to the existing cargo containers that, when enabled, (1) disallows other parts from pushing stuff into the container, and (2) automatically pushes stuff out of the container into the conveyor network whenever possible if stuff ever makes its way into it for whatever reason; or

(C) a new dedicated block that on the surface behaves like (A), while under the hood being based on the principles of the option described in (B) and with the inventory hidden either always or at least by default.

If either option (A) or (C) is chosen, I would suggest to - rather than actually implement it as a new block - co-opt the new Access Panel 4 for this purpose (with some modifications to the model), or at least use a very similar design.

Replies (1)

photo

I definitely like that idea, especially the option A. And it would be nice if this could be also implemented as a half-block option.

Making good looking storage access along a half-block wall is always a challenge.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file