This object is in archive! 

Thoughts on the small connector.

dzunepwnsipod 72 shared this feedback 12 months ago
Not Enough Votes

The small connector is an interesting idea, however keen stating that it had "connector functionality" when they meant "limited connector functionality" really set my expectations for a block that was a lot more useful than what we got.

So much so, that I legitamately thought they were simply bugged when they didn't. It seemed so obviouse that they were supposed to act like every other connector, and just work. However, this is not how they behave, and it is apparently intentional. Which is as frustrating to hear as it is dissapointing. I use connectors for their interoperability, I can't imagine many people dont as well. Not being able to use small connectors with a majority of places where one would want to, (recharging and refuling a small craft at a base, accessing the inventory of a ship large or small, connecting to most extant designs, ect) is frustrating.

What I find puzzling is, what advantage does the small connector have over a small rotor head? They seem to both functionally serve the same purpose, but with the rotor head offering the utility of rotating a sub-grid as desired. Without the ability to function like other connectors, the small connector seems just as awkward to use as a rotor or hinge head, but with out the utility that those blocks have. It seems like there would be preciouse few cases in which the small connector would be the right call. There is an argument to be made that it can eject things, but a normal connector can do that as well. With the added benefit of being also being a fully functional connector that can recharge and refule at most locations. The only exception I could think of is if you want to connect to a small grid, that's only a 2*2*N sized object. Once you get to 3*3*N or further a normal connecter makes more sense.

In short, the use-case of a small connector seems poorly thought through, given the restrictions placed apon it.

Replies (1)

photo

I didn't use this connector a lot for the moment but I didn't got any real issue with it and it does work the same way a large connector would do.

As for the availibitity of small connector to park, if you want to use a small connector to connect to a large grid its your job to install whats needed on your grids and if its to dock on a small grid its not a problem to install a small connector on a small grid

Leave a Comment

Attach a file