This object is in archive! 

Automatons Beta AI Flight Block pitch & roll modifiers

urthsong shared this feedback 14 months ago
Not Enough Votes

One of the tests I performed was to build a large grid drone and test how well automated movement works with the new AI blocks. I had no problem manually flying the drone, but the AI didn't do very well. Specifically, using the Home option to follow a grid, the drone would usually move to the Home grid ok, but once it arrived it would suddenly pitch up and crash; it crashed because the forward/left/right/back thrusters were minimal -- fine for level flight -- but unstable if not level for prolonged period. In the AI Flight block, I set pitch and roll to various small values, ranging from 20% to 5%, and I had the Align To Gravity option enabled, but to no avail. The AI ignored those modifiers. I don't know if this is a bug or if the expectation is that the thruster in each basis direction are powerful enough to hover. If the latter is true, my feedback is to alter the code so that the pitch/roll modifiers are adhered to more strictly.

Thanks in advance for reading my feedback

Replies (1)

photo

In my original comment, I failed to mention that my test was on the Alien planet. In subsequent testing, I created more nimble drones that don't care about the orientation, but I find it frustrating that none of the limits are followed. The drones move well beyond the maximum distance, move faster than the speed limit, completely ignore the pitch/roll modifiers mentioned above, sometimes stop moving at all (forcing me to manually toggle the enable switches), collide with grids even when the speed limit is set to a slow 10m/s (as mentioned earlies in this paragraph, they are not adhering to the speed limit, so when they do collide, they get hurt :(). So ends my planet drone testing. Maybe space will workout better...

Leave a Comment

Attach a file