This object is in archive! 

[Automatons Beta] Event Controller: block groups support for triggers

Marco Leise shared this feedback 14 months ago
Not Enough Votes

I sometimes create relatively complex "scripts" from timer blocks, sensors, rotors and pistons. Often a dozen timer blocks are already set up when I find I have to move one of the involved pistons or replace the block model (i.e. door with gate, hinge with rotor).

For the timer blocks not to lose their actions, instead of putting blocks into the slots directly, I reference them with a block group. This is often just a "tag" with the same name as the block. So when the block is replaced, you just recreate the block group from its name and voilà, the timer block actions work again.

This workaround is not available for the Event Controller, so if you change the design of a ship, you also have to remember and go through any Event Controllers that were using the replaced/moved blocks. My proposal here would be to allow groups aka "tags" in the block list. It would at least be a nice-to-have.

Best regards,

Marco

Replies (1)

photo

> This workaround is not available for the Event Controller, so if you change the design of a ship

Also, if we are talking about a subgridded/connected block that may go away, like another ship or missile. Event Controllers need to recognise group functions.

As an example, I'm trying to detect when a missile's gas tank is full to activate a light. I do NOT want to put the event controller on the missile, because by definition it's about to be destroyed and it'll just be a waste + extra mass on the missile.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file