This object is in archive! 

Cylindric and polar coordinate grids

Darren Lynch shared this feedback 15 months ago
Not Enough Votes

At the moment everything is in what I would describe cartesian coordinate grid for ship and station grids (I guess different for planets?). An extra method of creating might reduce the complexity and the number of different blocks needed for many creations. Thinking about orb like structures (death-stars and co) and cylinder like structures (Buildings and ships) this would be a great addition. I suppose this might bring technical challenges, but I think the results will be pretty cool.

Replies (2)

photo

Can you clarify how the existing blocks (all cuboid) would work in a polar coordinate grid?

photo

I think for polar you could restrict building at the poles and centre, so all other segments are hexahedral, i.e. blocks can be mapped. Otherwise for spherical creations, we could use cube-sphere, which might be better, but there is some discontinuity at the cube boundaries that could be smoothed if needed. I think we would still need to be restricted from building in the centre.

The limitation I see is the further from the centre, the larger the block, I don't have a smart suggestion of what to do here except limit the radius within bounds.

I guess as PC's get more powerful, we could also find gravity aligned vertical grids useful for city/outpost creations.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file